Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Arms East BM ACR Thread.

BANNED
    Oh, this is awesome, thanks for making these available!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drifter dave's Avatar
    No milling. These are TRUE ACR barrels, not modded AR barrels. Taper pin ream to install gas block.
    This is a little confusing. I think what TV was getting at is, "does the barrel need any machining to install". Correct me if I am wrong.
    There are 2 things that differentiate AR15 barrels from ACR barrels: The gas port size and the cross pins mounting the Gas Block on the ACR.
    I've used 2 ACR barrels on AR builds, all they need is the gas port enlarged.

I think what people want to know is if the gas block cross pins are ready to go on - that the barrel has been machined to accept them (see photo below). If this part isn't done yet, you're looking at a 18.5 AR barrel with a larger gas port.

Not trying to be a dick, but some folks may get the idea that they can easily swap this on at home without a drill press, etc.

G96 smells awesome.
    Member, CSSA & CCFR.

BANNED
    Oh, thanks for requesting clarification.

Yeah, just to be clear, no machining, no milling, no filing, no drilling, no massaging, no McGuyvering, and no removal of any material from the Arms East barrel required right? All I need to do is rip the parts off my OEM ACR barrel, and swap it over to this one, and it's ready to rock and roll right?

Quote Originally Posted by drifter dave View Post
    This is a little confusing. I think what TV was getting at is, "does the barrel need any machining to install". Correct me if I am wrong.
    There are 2 things that differentiate AR15 barrels from ACR barrels: The gas port size and the cross pins mounting the Gas Block on the ACR.
    I've used 2 ACR barrels on AR builds, all they need is the gas port enlarged.

I think what people want to know is if the gas block cross pins are ready to go on - that the barrel has been machined to accept them (see photo below). If this part isn't done yet, you're looking at a 18.5 AR barrel with a larger gas port.

Not trying to be a dick, but some folks may get the idea that they can easily swap this on at home without a drill press, etc.
    I hoped that by saying machinist or gunsmith and mentioning reaming taper pin holes, answered that question.

You are incorrect in the two things in difference. The differences between the ACR barrel and a mid-length gas AR15 barrel would be the smaller gas port size on the ACR barrel (ours is), and the machined ring under the handguards where the piston guide attaches. The reaming of the channels for the taper pins isn't a difference. Both rifles (assuming a taper pinned gas block/FSB on the AR) use the same taper pins and the same technique to fit them.

When fitting a pre-drilled gas block to the new barrel, the drilling/reaming must be done with the actual gas block to be fitted to the new barrel. We wouldn't do this in advance and hope that a different gas block's pre-existing taper pin holes line up. This is where the machinist/gunsmith comes in.

Hope that is clear, if not, let me know.

EDIT: I hope I made it more clear now in the original answer.
    Last edited by ARMS EAST; 12-29-2015 at 08:59 PM.

www.armseast.ca Toll Free 1-844-579-0007 EMAIL info@armseast.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Donut View Post
    Oh, thanks for requesting clarification.

Yeah, just to be clear, no machining, no milling, no filing, no drilling, no massaging, no McGuyvering, and no removal of any material from the Arms East barrel required right? All I need to do is rip the parts off my OEM ACR barrel, and swap it over to this one, and it's ready to rock and roll right?
    Reaming the taper pin holes for the gas block is machining. This should be installed by a knowledgeable gunsmith.

Announcement #2: We have Geissele Automatics Super ACR Triggers back in stock.

I'll be ordering once the SS barrels are in.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by ARMS EAST View Post
    Reaming the taper pin holes for the gas block is machining. This should be installed by a knowledgeable gunsmith.
    Yep, I found a local smith that said he'd do it for $65-85, depending on whether the taper pins survive the removal. Seems reasonable, and a far better alternative than me sitting there with a file and trying to do it myself, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Donut View Post
    Yep, I found a local smith that said he'd do it for $65-85, depending on whether the taper pins survive the removal. Seems reasonable, and a far better alternative than me sitting there with a file and trying to do it myself, lol!
    Sounds good, sounds reasonable. I can't even imagine what you would do with a file. The taper pins should survive.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by ARMS EAST View Post
    Sounds good, sounds reasonable. I can't even imagine what you would do with a file. The taper pins should survive.
    Yep, reputable guy by what the local gun shops say anyway - Bits of Pieces gunsmithing, local too so I don't need to send it off somewhere.

Next question is......how soon will I have that barrel