Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: restriced storage question

restriced storage question

So when and if I get a ATT and buy a hand gun like a 1911 or glock for it to be legal storage it needs to be trigger or cable locked and locked in a safe.

What if I locked it in a old metal ammo can ? Would that be legal ?

Can't afford a decent safe at this time . That's why I asked. Just seeing what other options are .

Thanks.

You can lock it in an opaque container that can not be readily broken into. So in case of the glock, if you trigger lock it and then put it in its case and lock it, you will be following the law.
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

you can buy stack on cabinets at canadian tire pretty cheap, Then you know you are fine.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FoxAlpha's Avatar
    Stored in a safe, it does not require a trigger or action lock. My general acceptance of what a safe is, is one that has the word "safe" in the product name. A stack on cabinet is not a safe, but a cheap 40 dollar "Honeywell" 40 dollar safe is.
    Stored in anything but a safe will require a trigger or action lock, as well as a locked container.
    I survived the gun control scare of 2013 and all I got was this t-shirt.......
    And 30 PMags, 5000 rounds of .223, 3000 rounds of 9mm, 5 BCG's, 5 stripped lowers, and a really pissed off wife.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxAlpha View Post
    Stored in a safe, it does not require a trigger or action lock. My general acceptance of what a safe is, is one that has the word "safe" in the product name. A stack on cabinet is not a safe, but a cheap 40 dollar "Honeywell" 40 dollar safe is.
    Stored in anything but a safe will require a trigger or action lock, as well as a locked container.
    I beg to differ here, if you are keeping a restricted in a lockable stack-on locker (not a safe for this purpose), you just need a trigger or action lock on it and no need for extra case. The locker is by itself a locked container.

I saw a set up once where the handgun was trigger locked, in a locking Honywell-type box, through which he drilled a couple holes for a bicycle-type U-lock to secure the box to the drain pipe under his sink. If using a Stack-On or similar cabinet, I would think it prudent to ensure its secured to the wall/floor. You don't want a burglar stumbling upon it and just walking out with it. My 2c...
    "If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, you can better serve your country by living somewhere else." -Stompin Tom Connors

Hard times create strong men; Strong men create good times; Good times create weak men; Weak men create hard times. Steady up...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Monkey View Post
    I saw a set up once where the handgun was trigger locked, in a locking Honywell-type box, through which he drilled a couple holes for a bicycle-type U-lock to secure the box to the drain pipe under his sink. If using a Stack-On or similar cabinet, I would think it prudent to ensure its secured to the wall/floor. You don't want a burglar stumbling upon it and just walking out with it. My 2c...
    I think the main discussion point here was the legality question, so storing with a trigger lock inside ANY lockable container is legal. As a thief/burglar protection i personally think that anything short of a full blown fridge size safe (and not the cheap kinds which can be opened by a pro in 10min) with floor/store attachment is a joke...But let's face it, not everyone can afford one, either due to budget or space considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by hittinghard View Post
    So when and if I get a ATT and buy a hand gun like a 1911 or glock for it to be legal storage it needs to be trigger or cable locked and locked in a safe.

Can't afford a decent safe at this time . That's why I asked. Just seeing what other options are .

Thanks.
    Yes, trigger lock and locked securely in an ammo can will meet the requirements.
    CSSA and CCFR member

Quote Originally Posted by hittinghard View Post

Thanks.
    Trigger lock and in the locked can?.. yes you're safe. A metal tool box might be smarter. Easily transports and lockable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast