Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: restriced storage question

Those speed vault 500's look sweet.
    http://cdn1.deansafecompany.netdna-c...unted-desk.jpg

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FoxAlpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sashali View Post
    I beg to differ here, if you are keeping a restricted in a lockable stack-on locker (not a safe for this purpose), you just need a trigger or action lock on it and no need for extra case. The locker is by itself a locked container.
    My apologies, let me clarify. I meant the container in which the trigger locked firearm is stored, must be locked. I can see how that may have been misread, but I agree, it does not require an additional locked container in addition to a locked cabinet.
    I survived the gun control scare of 2013 and all I got was this t-shirt.......
    And 30 PMags, 5000 rounds of .223, 3000 rounds of 9mm, 5 BCG's, 5 stripped lowers, and a really pissed off wife.

CGN Regular
    Here is what I do for storage which works for me:

Restricted handguns are unloaded, trigger locked and stored inside a hard shelled container (pistol case), locked.
    Ammunition is stored inside a separate hard shelled container (ammo can), locked.
    Cleaning supplies are stored inside a separate container (small toolbox), locked

Why lock everything? Why not. I use Master combination trigger locks and inexpensive Master luggage combination locks for all the containers. No fumbling with multiple keys. All containers are placed on the upper shelf in my bedroom closet. If I had more stuff I'd buy a gun cabinet. For now my closet suffices.

What concerns me is that the OP is even asking this question. One would assume that anyone taking the CRFSC should know the answer to the storage question.
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by kidcom View Post
    What concerns me is that the OP is even asking this question. One would assume that anyone taking the CRFSC should know the answer to the storage question.
    A thread like this one is good memory practice, I can barely remember anything that was said at the CRFSC course! And we get to discuss
    different ways of arriving at safe storage.

Quote Originally Posted by kidcom View Post
    If it was that cut and dried there would be only one reply in this thread. I have had a restricted pal for over 15 years but just got my first restricted so these threads are nice for a refresher.

Quote Originally Posted by savagelh View Post
    If it was that cut and dried there would be only one reply in this thread. I have had a restricted pal for over 15 years but just got my first restricted so these threads are nice for a refresher.
    savageth your point is well taken...
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

What about a small metal stack-on case with an integrated combo lock? Tiny safe, or metal container only?

Nice thing about using a safe is it doesn't have to have a trigger lock and you can keep a loaded mag beside it as long as it's not in the gun. I use an ammo can with a ubolt on it to attach a lock and a trigger lock that works too. Now that I have a safe I use that to transport it to the range under double lock as required.

Rodburner,
    You can legally store a loaded Mag in the same place as your restricted?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast