Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stun baton?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FreedomIsn'tFree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada Ammo View Post
    The Stun Baton we sell exceeds 480mm in length
    I have only used mine as a flashlight.
    It's better to have questions you can't answer, then answers you can't question.
    When you have no property rights, YOU ARE THE PROPERTY!
    WEXIT, IPSC, CCFR.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer orthoboy's Avatar
    I use mine to light my pizza oven. My puppy actually finds the sound amusing. She's a keeper.

BANNED
    This thread has been beat to death for years and years 100 percent legal to own no problems here lock it down

How would these work against a black bear or a cougar you didn't want to hurt, just stop them from eating you?

I like to walk at night when it's dark and I live beside the wilderness and black bears are fairly common in the area, cougars aren't common but there does seem to be one sighted in the area every year or two. The black bears aren't generally a problem you just yell, wave your arms around and act aggressive and they take off, but there is that rare instance when they don't and cougars are less predictable. Obviously I can't take a handgun for protection (theoretically I could take a rifle, but it would have to be unloaded and inside something to keep it from view which would mean I'd never get to it in time) and was curious if something like this would be effective.

These threads always have the "how can this be legal in Canada" guys....

At least in the USA they run on the premise that everything is legal until explicitly told by the ATF. Even then it's challenged. Not in this country.

Canadians are so ... "the government is OK with me having this..?...."
    Are you allowed to eat doughnuts private Pyle?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Bunny View Post
    How would these work against a black bear or a cougar you didn't want to hurt, just stop them from eating you?

I like to walk at night when it's dark and I live beside the wilderness and black bears are fairly common in the area, cougars aren't common but there does seem to be one sighted in the area every year or two. The black bears aren't generally a problem you just yell, wave your arms around and act aggressive and they take off, but there is that rare instance when they don't and cougars are less predictable. Obviously I can't take a handgun for protection (theoretically I could take a rifle, but it would have to be unloaded and inside something to keep it from view which would mean I'd never get to it in time) and was curious if something like this would be effective.
    if you're close enough to be able to use it on a bear or cougar, you're probably already meat anyways...

CGN frequent flyer
    I'd still prefer to have it than not. The problem about not being allowed to carry the proper tools is you may need several alternative tools to sort out the same problem.

Your concern should be what will save your life, not what the animal will like. The proven thing on bears is pepper spray. There is this Canadian movie about this hideous bear attack. I researched the incident, and the tech expert on bears said something like nobody has ever been eaten by a black bear when it was sprayed by pepper spray (BBs eat more people than the larger bears). You have two issues. One is that when bears attack they probably aren't trying to eat you so that situation can be more fluid. Bears that want to feed on you do not generally make aggressive displays, they just come straight on in. If you see a BB who is just coming straight in like he made his mind up about something, you need to get very proactive.

The discussion normally conflates attacks for all sorts of reason, that might end very badly, but where food is not the issue, with feeding behaviors. For feeding attempts, pepper spray is highly effective. In the movie the bear gets a full blast in the face, then comes right back and eats the guy. That never happens with black bears (this is not griz related, though it may be the same).

The other problem you have with spray is if the bear is mauling or whatever and the face is not available. A nudge in the balls with a batton will likely have some effect, not sure what to expect.

Not having access to guns is a problem (safe storage or you don't have them at all). Getting them loaded in time is a training issue (except as regards having both guns and ammo locked down. Some of the oldies like pumps and levers can almost be fired at semi speeds when fed one round at a time. Look at some Cowboy action videos on Youtube. I don't think I am going to do that, but getting a few rounds in the gun, and running a control type action, as though I was shooting a double is perfectly feasible. Remember that speed/winning is determined by how fast you can get a sight picture and squeeze off a hit, not by how fast you can make the ammo fly.

Was just on the website.... No stock... ETA update please?
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” .......... - George Carlin

You guys should bring in a telescoping version with increased volatge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12