Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glaser Blue Safety Slug 9mm Luger

Glaser Blue Safety Slug 9mm Luger

We have now this new ammunition...
    YOU CAN NOW ORDER ONLINE ON OUR NEW WEBSITE !

http://www.crafm.com

Or call us to place your order over the phone : 1-877-635-4867

Centre Récréatif d'Armes à Feu de Montréal (CRAFM)
    Montreal Firearms Recreational Center
    Club de Tir de Montréal (CTM)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer krausb's Avatar
    I haven't seen those in years!! Am I seeing that right, 20 cartridges per box?

What makes it "safe"? Isn't it just a hollow-point filled in with a bit of plastic?
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

CGN Ultra frequent flyer canucklehead's Avatar
    I think it's intended to break up on impact, to prevent over penetration and collateral/bystander injury. Fragments as soon as it hits anything - flesh, walls, car door, etc. I THINK this is the ammo that Air Marshals used? Or maybe that's just urban legend...

aaaaand for shooting paper you want to pay this much because......

CGN Ultra frequent flyer krausb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmGunGuy View Post
    What makes it "safe"? Isn't it just a hollow-point filled in with a bit of plastic?
    Sort of but not really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug

Quote Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post
    I think it's intended to break up on impact, to prevent over penetration and collateral/bystander injury. Fragments as soon as it hits anything - flesh, walls, car door, etc. I THINK this is the ammo that Air Marshals used? Or maybe that's just urban legend...
    Exactly.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer grelmar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post
    The Calgary Police Service used to use Glasers in the 80s, and I think into the 90s. They stopped after some controversy after a number of officer involved shootings. Pre-internet days, so don't ask me to look up the articles. Yes, they prevent over-penetration, but they also have fairly spectacular "terminal effect" on target.

Quote Originally Posted by kaos013 View Post
    aaaaand for shooting paper you want to pay this much because......
    Because some of us have carbines and 9mm is a good round for predator control. With Glasers, it takes them from being a "good" round, to an "awesome" round for dealing with badger to coyote sized targets.

Quote Originally Posted by grelmar View Post
    The Calgary Police Service used to use Glasers in the 80s, and I think into the 90s. They stopped after some controversy after a number of officer involved shootings. Pre-internet days, so don't ask me to look up the articles. Yes, they prevent over-penetration, but they also have fairly spectacular "terminal effect" on target.

Because some of us have carbines and 9mm is a good round for predator control. With Glasers, it takes them from being a "good" round, to an "awesome" round for dealing with badger to coyote sized targets.
    they also, in their lack of over penetration had terrible minimal penetration.
    1*

DISRUPTING OODA LOOPS FOR THE HECK OF IT

Frangibles like this are pretty much intended and functional as a "home Defense" type of ammunition due to the fragmentation qualities of the round when it hits pretty much anything.
    Some LEO used them years ago but stopped using them because they are almost completely ineffective against an armoured target (body armour) or penetrating thru obstacles (car door, windshield etc)
    Click, Bang.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jparent's Avatar
    Wow! I was just thinking about these the other day. I thought they stopped making ttem! I want some just for the memories. IIRC Cor-bon used to make their own version, but with larger shot. I guess the ended up buying out Glaser?.
    Looking down the barrel, of 1984...
    Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Foxtrot Oscar.
    It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast