Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sam sigma 9 questions

CGN Regular

sam sigma 9 questions

Hey, wife just received her Christmas present, sigma 9. she is very happy, ts already got new grips and she now has me working on polishing it to a mirror finish.

but got a few questions.

1: will any single stack 9mm 1911 magazine work or there specific ones i should looks at

2: will a normal dual side ambidextrous safety for any 1911 work or is there specific ones for this model. Do you stock this part ?

3: the one we got was marked made i 2012. I remember reading the barrels changed form stainless to chrome. it looks chrome but it could just be polished stainless. wanted to check if it was chromed or the old style or new one. How do we do that ?

4o you know or have a ambidextrous mag release (i know they exist) or a right side one. Wife is left handed,I am right. She has priority as her toy but hey

5: the manual that came with it was for normal 45 1911, this one is slightly different in take down. there is no busing on the front. I got it apart but was wondering if you have any specifc reading material/manual for this sigma 9 ??

Pleased your wife is happy with her new Sigma.

Yes any 1911 9 mm mag should work OK.
    Any 1911 ambi safety should work, we have SAM ambi safeties in stock but they do require hand fitting.
    I think your gun will have a stainless barrel.
    I can not assist with a ambi mag release, again any standard 1911 type should work.
    The manual with the Sigma although titled for Sigma is in fact a manual for a standard 1911, there is no other.

I hope that assist you.

Some parts are just drop in. As for the safety, it will require fitting by a competent gunsmith, as it requires some filing to fit with the sear and disconnect.

the only ambi mag release i have ever saw has been one by S&A, but havent seen them in a while. They are not cheap also.

i noticed, personally, SAM firearms are not fully interchangable in all parts, i have noticed that some are tighter fit, and require fitting in the past.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Pleased your wife is happy with her new Sigma.

Yes any 1911 9 mm mag should work OK.
    Any 1911 ambi safety should work, we have SAM ambi safeties in stock but they do require hand fitting.
    I think your gun will have a stainless barrel.
    I can not assist with a ambi mag release, again any standard 1911 type should work.
    The manual with the Sigma although titled for Sigma is in fact a manual for a standard 1911, there is no other.

I hope that assist you.
    so i know you switched to chrome, is there any issues with the stainless one ??? just to confirm

Quote Originally Posted by GT_Hawk View Post
    so i know you switched to chrome, is there any issues with the stainless one ??? just to confirm
    The main reason that SAM changed from 416 stainless to 4140 steel for barrels was a problem with sourcing steel. Customers had always demanded stainless barrels although 4140 is tougher and more durable for 1911 barrels. We had seen a few stainless barrels where the link lug had sheared, naturally these are a warranty replacement if that happens, this was never a major issue.

BANNED
    When shooting weak hand, I find it very easy to operate the mag release with my middle finger. Might save you the grief of trying to find an ambi mag release.

FF

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    The main reason that SAM changed from 416 stainless to 4140 steel for barrels was a problem with sourcing steel. Customers had always demanded stainless barrels although 4140 is tougher and more durable for 1911 barrels. We had seen a few stainless barrels where the link lug had sheared, naturally these are a warranty replacement if that happens, this was never a major issue.
    cool, good to know. that said looking at thickness of the barrel i dont expect much of a issue.

and coolinfo on the mag release, got to see what wife wants to do. as for safety, ya i guess i will price out costs locally for smith to do it. From what i read some ties its direct drop in if you are lucky, but usually slight fitment needed.

anyway been shining this, slide alost done. i will post pics, but ya loving the fitment of this gun, very nice, no rattles or anything.

CGN Regular
    so got to try this thing out today. 4 degrees + when we got to range, -4 when leaving go figure. Loved how this thing shot. We brought along my wifes ppq and the new to me norinco 1911a1 sport (my christmas gift). The ppq is light as all hell but dam the sigma made the recoil so much nicer. absolutely loved shooting the sigma (and the norinco 45) and best part is the wife really enjoyed how it shot as well. Since its her gun that's what counts.

But i will not we had a few failure to feed occur. First round, pulled slide, and it never loaded. Tried again and it worked. We shot about 50rounds and got i think 2 more. I am chocking it up to breaking in, but hey if there is any advice please let me know. But overall love the thing

BANNED
    Mine did that too in the first hundred rounds - it'll smooth out to perfection soon enough

FF

Quote Originally Posted by FyreFighter View Post
    Mine did that too in the first hundred rounds - it'll smooth out to perfection soon enough

FF
    I will just add to that to keep her very clean and very well lubed during your break in period, this applies to all new guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast