Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Options for Short Thumbs? Help please

Handgun Options for Short Thumbs? Help please

Hello, I am looking for some suggestions on good handguns for someone with short thumbs. I recently got my restricted license. I have been to the range 3-4 times and shot my buddies PPX and an H&K. Did months of research online and had decided on buying a glock. But then when I went to hold one at the store I couldn't reach the mag release button! I guess that is why practical experience is important. The only gun they had at the store that I could reach the mag release was a PPX like the one I was shooting at the range. I am not sure if that is grip circumference or what? (PPX grip circumference is 5.2") Because the rest of my grip feels fine. I just can't reach the mag release. If you know any other handguns other than a PPQ, which is the only one I could find, that have an easy to reach mag release please help me. I just have a few requirements...

Has to be 9mm
    Not a revolver
    Good quality - I'd take a PPQ over a PPX and I can reach the mag release on both.
    Not lever action mag release like the H&K's
    I don't want to hit the mag release with my weak hand so please don't suggest that.
    Willing to spend up to $1200

I looked on the forums here and there was one posting for small hands. I think the rest of my hands are okay just short thumbs. Sorry if this sounds stupid or noobish in any way. Thanks in advance.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    Try a Ruger SR9. Ambi mag release and reversible backstrap. Only problem is that it's not a Glock or an M&P or a Sig or a CZ or a _________________ (insert more popular brand here) otherwise, I think they're pretty darn good.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

I'll check the Ruger SR9 out. It's a lot cheaper than the PPQ as well and it's a stryker fire. Thanks dirtybarry!
    Last edited by JBUSH; 01-08-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: forgot to qoute dirtybarry

CGN Regular
    My two cents.... find the gun that fits you the best (ignoring the mag release). Look for how the grip feels, trigger pull, sights, etc and then press the mag release with your weak hand if you can't reach it with your strong hand thumb.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Master-G's Avatar
    I've got short thumbs and I don't think there are any mag releases that I can reach with my normal firing grip. I just flip the gun around a bit and it works fine. Why don't you like the H&K release? Hitting the paddle release with my trigger finger works great--I don't have to change my grip at all.

Why not try Sig X5 classic??

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    Many guns have aftermarket extended mag releases, which might help.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

I have short-ish thumbs. Never realized so until I was training on the Browning 9mm for work. I had a hard-time reaching the mag release as well. I was skeptical on buying a fullsize handgun after this but regardless picked up a Sig/GSG 1911 but in .22LR.

I couldn't quite hit the mag release and expected this so I ordered an extender from Brownells. I know there are 9mm 1911's out, Sig even makes some so there is surely other mag release extenders for other pistols. Important note, as your issue from what I read is you can't quite reach altogether, there are extenders which have "paddles" that extend a larger contact area towards the rear of the pistol and closer to your thumbs. Might help, worth a look.

& also as a note if you are worried about buying from brownells and paying lots of currency exchange and shipping; these are like $20 and they shipped it for about $10 through letter mail.

Good luck to you!

Juster: "Many guns have aftermarket extended mag releases, which might help."

+1. Was literally typing the above message as you posted this!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khows View Post
    Juster: "Many guns have aftermarket extended mag releases, which might help."

+1. Was literally typing the above message as you posted this!
    Great minds think alike, fools seldom differ .
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast