Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spare Parts Kits For XCR-L?

Quote Originally Posted by 9x19p View Post
    Hey Gunnutz, I'm having a bit of a chuckle over the XCR parts kit request, concerning a gun with 200 rounds through it .

Fwiw, in my experience with my XCR, at a little over 18,000 rounds through it, the only parts you may want on hand, are springs and maybe a recoil buffer.
    My hammer spring broke, the replacement was upgraded to the x39 surplus spring. Was always a x39 upper/rifle but the hammer spring was the same as my friends .223 rifle. The upgraded spring has lasted over 10,000 rounds.
    My recoil buffer is original, and still looks new.

The day I bought the gun, I took it out with the sole purpose of figuring things out, i.e. the gas setting. That's what the day was dedicated to, and it took all of 2 hours to break the gun in and learn that 1 was too low and 3 gave me trigger slap. It ran on 2 for thousands of rounds, it's now on 1. That said, it's not a set it and forget it, system.

The easiest way to learn the gun, is to induce failures as well as inducing what can be obnoxious trigger slap. Try the gun on 4, 3, 2, 1, and even S. Figure out what causes what. It's easier to do it on your terms than waiting for the gun to stop cycling, then wondering why. Or wondering why the buffer is torn.

Ambient temp shouldn't affect the gas system, different brands of ammo will.

Learn the gun, so when it talks to you, you know what it's saying.
    thanks...best and most informative response yet maybe write some more to inform the rest of us...I think that's the first time I ever saw anybody explain the xcr gas system anywhere on the net (this is the first rifle I have owned with an adjustable gas block...the others were all not adjustable, so when I get an issue....it just doesn't pop into my head to check it...it will from now on)

btw.....I don't want the parts kit because I require it.....I want it in case I need it, so I have it on hand for a quick repair with no down time.

Call me weird ........I guess I'm just a pro active thinker I have spare parts for every long arm and handgun I own

cheers
    Last edited by slim123; 01-12-2016 at 07:47 PM.

BANNED
    Well I'm starting to feel better about the gun now. A little info goes a long way! Can somebody explain to me though - what exactly is 'trigger slap'?

Dunno if I'll get 18000 rounds through it but I will bet I put a good 5000 through it before I flog it...

yep..kinda sucks to drop a ton of cake on a rifle...and then have issues...thankfully these were small issues corrected with a little info (and some GREAT dealer service).....hope to see more info soon. Gotta wonder how many ppl out there are bashing the xcr's with opinions based on misinformation or lack of information...

shoot mine in the bush mostly, but the few times I had it at the range I have been approached by ppl asking me about it...and telling me that they hear nothing good about them..

thanks for all the info..hope to see a lot more soon....cant wait to get it out to the bush again

Quote Originally Posted by One Lung Wonder View Post
    Well I'm starting to feel better about the gun now. A little info goes a long way! Can somebody explain to me though - what exactly is 'trigger slap'?

Dunno if I'll get 18000 rounds through it but I will bet I put a good 5000 through it before I flog it...
    Happens on some trigger and disconnect or designs, during trigger reset ... typically when a semi auto gas operated gun is over gassed.

Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Thanks for your comments, we will work on doing some informative XCR videos in the future.

The first myth to dispel is operating these rifles (or any rifle) with the gas setting on maximum, this is wrong, this just "hammers" the rifle unnecessarily. Always keep the gas setting on the lowest setting that the rifle will operate reliably on.

My second point is the importance of keeping your bolt and bolt carrier assembly well lubed. Under are extreme cold for short term use you can change to WD40 but this is not a true lubricant, the best is to clean your bolt and then change to dry graphite.

More to follow
    Mr Wolverine- NO GRAPHITE- please. Graphite reacts negatively with aluminum over time, and is NOT recommended by major manufacturers for any weapon system.

Having been in the army for quite some time, and using various weapon systems down to -50C, GUN OIL is the way to go. I have also used Safariland brand CLP which is rated to -59C, but usually I use straight gun oil. Either the provided machine gun oil, or little bottles from canadian tire. Keep the bolt face dry, and everything else can be normally lubricated (not dripping).

Keep the piston head dry for sure. WD40 is alright for the trigger group as it is hydrophobic, but only if it has been or is likely to be somehow soaked.

Below is a bit right from the RA manual:

"Use lubricant that works well in all operating temperatures. Lubricate only the bolt shaft, the driving band and bolt rails of the bolt carrier, and the flat sides of the operating rod. The manufacturer uses 30W synthetic motor oil. NOTE: A lot of lubricant is necessary during the initial 300 round break in period. Afterward, only a light coat of lubricant is needed.
    B. A small amount of lubricant can be used on the contact areas of the fire control parts and on the shaft of the safety selector during break in. After break in, these parts do not need to be lubricated."

Tagged for future

"East of the Rockies, and west of the rest" - Corb Lund
    Some good info in here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12