Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing firearms in hard case?

The 8 gun stack-on cabinet at CT goes on sale every now and then, but that may not last long before you're upgrading to a bigger cabinet or safe (They say 8 but they're really small!). It can be expensive starting out in this hobby, and I'd rather spend my money on ammo. Do you have an old fridge lying around? could also check Kijiji or GCsurplus.ca for school lockers / lockable storage cabinets for cheap.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 3macs1's Avatar
    [QUOTE=jevan23;12213094]The 8 gun stack-on cabinet at CT goes on sale every now and then, but that may not last long before you're upgrading to a bigger cabinet or safe (They say 8 but they're really small!). It can be expensive starting out in this hobby, and I'd rather spend my money on ammo. Do you have an old fridge lying around? could also check Kijiji or GCsurplus.ca for school lockers / lockable storage cabinets for cheap.

Can honestly say in my many years I have never seen an old fridge used. Looks some cool no pun intended
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 3macs1 View Post
    Can honestly say in my many years I have never seen an old fridge used. Looks some cool no pun intended
    Cheers
    A friend of mine converted an old water heater to a gun safe after they installed a tank-less system in the house. It looked totally legit - along with fake piping, wires, valves, etc - It was very well done.....
    You are either trained or untrained, and you
    will always fall to the level of your training.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Weapontech View Post
    A friend of mine converted an old water heater to a gun safe after they installed a tank-less system in the house. It looked totally legit - along with fake piping, wires, valves, etc - It was very well done.....
    Wow! What a great idea! Having your gun collection locked up in a place that thieves would never think of looking at. Much better than a Stack On.

Hey guys thank you for all the great replies.
    without going to much into my life stories, I am currently here renting for around the next year then looking to buy my own place at that point i will be buying myself a good safe for both guns (hoping i will have a couple if not more by then) and other things like documents and passports.
    you have really helped and i think the best thing now is to get myself one of the can-tire 8 gun stack on, i did see it before for under $100. it wont go to waste at the end of it it will become ammo storage. that and a range carry case will work out the same as a hard case.

i do understand that i could lock it and put it under my pillow if i wanted however i do aim to pratice the most security i can as its never a bad thing.

i will also look into hydrosorbent silica gel that was good info.

thanks again

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Weapontech View Post
    Times are different - and some of the new hard-case products are excellent for longer-term storage, especially for 1 to 2 firearms.

You will want to purchase the Midway USA hydrosorbent silica gel dessicant dehimidifier ($5.99 US) to put in the case - some cases come with a cutout in the foam for that exact purpose.
    Keep your guns clean and well oiled; I used to put a layer of butcher paper over the foam to prevent the oil from being wicked off the rifle.

Never had a rust issue, never had "safe dings" and saved big $$ on not needing a safe until I had a larger number of firearms.
    I pretty much do the same but keep the whole area as dry as possible 35-45 % humidity and gun socks

CGN frequent flyer
    All my long guns live in hardcases, in an unfinished basement. None of them, including an 870 "rustomatic" show even a spec of rust. I'm in a high-humidity area to boot. The modern grey-black foam is good for not absorbing moisture. Gun cases are not deal for storage in many ways, but a safe isn't always practical for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by GBG View Post
    All my long guns live in hardcases, in an unfinished basement. None of them, including an 870 "rustomatic" show even a spec of rust. I'm in a high-humidity area to boot. The modern grey-black foam is good for not absorbing moisture. Gun cases are not deal for storage in many ways, but a safe isn't always practical for some people.
    so ones that are having problems with storage in a case, would that be a human error i.e not cleaning well, not cleaning enough, taking case to damp areas
    or would it be down to quality of the case.
    when it came to the case i was going to buy a plano, that i understand is a poor man pelican case and i was under the impression it was just as good at most things.

my thing was i didnt see the point buying a cheap stack on when its going to be upgraded to a safe at one point in the future
    having a good case means when i upgrade i would still have a good case for carrying.

but i dont want to go with the case and end up shooting myself in the foot (pun intended) and regret it latter when my barrel rusts and i do not know what to do

CGN Regular
    as long as you dont fondle the rifle (or as long as you dont have oily hands as I do), I use to oil and throw in a gun sock

I store some pistols in a Canadian Tire tool case (foam lined) and rifles in gun sock and/or gun case. I live in a fairly humid area and I haven't had a spot of rust. This includes pistols from WW2 and "cheapie" modern Marlin rifles, which people say don't have "good" finishes.

Clean guns, oil, wipe oil off outside to nearly dry condition, put in case. Not hard, not complex. If you don't have some fancy gun oil, then Vaseline, baby oil, unused motor oil all work.

As an aside, I have summer and winter tires, on rims. I swap them myself to save time and reduce the damage that otherwise occurs when you let "professionals" do certain things. My car is hub-centric, meaning the hub and hole in the rim center the wheel, rather than the lug nut holes. My hubs (and summer rims) are aluminum. In the distant past they once rusted together, making it incredibly hard to remove those rims that spring. It reminded me I should use anti-seize on there, which I did until I misplaced the can. I didn't want to buy a new one, so I grabbed the generic vaseline (petroleum jelly) and applied very generously. Have done it since and the wheels slide on and off like...well, like they are on greased rails, which they are.

Just saying that people underestimate the effectiveness of cheap, simple stuff like petroleum jelly, motor oil or simple wax for keeping stuff lubed and rust-free, even in harsh conditions. Remember it isn't like you are burying these guns for decades or something - then reach for that cosmoline - you will use the gun again in a few weeks/months, won't you? I have one pistol that has been in the Canadian Tire toolbox for 1.5 years now - I look at it every once in a while, and the oil I put on way back when is still protecting it perfectly.

Just my thoughts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast