Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Storing firearms in hard case?

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldo View Post

Just my thoughts.
    ^^ that makes complete sense.

so i dont want to go back on what i have said nor do i want to annoy anyone that has replied as i did ask for advice.
    but i am going to be a new gun owner, i am excited about this so they opportunity i get to open up, clean, take it to the range, hunt , clean then i am going to take it.
    going with everyone's opinion and information its really down to care and what you do with the firearm more than it is how you store it.

however this does leave me still asking what i want now, stack-on or hard case.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    I'd get both, and use the hard case for transporting the rifle.

I've used pelican cases for last 5 years with no issues. 3 of those years were living onboard my sailboat. I kept the firearms properly cleaned and oiled and used desiccant. Ensuring that the cases are not overstuffed is important, if you don't you can compromise the seal.

I should add I have a Rem 870 express and never had any rust issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rustrash View Post
    ......however this does leave me still asking what i want now, stack-on or hard case.
    Given the "unknowns" that you have expressed, I would go with the more fluid solution; get a good, solid, lockable guncase (2 gun Pelican, etc).

You won't need to worry about rust if you make it a point of taking them out of the case and wiped down with oil on a regular basis, (Once a month or so....). Put a dessicant pack inside the case.

You can get a guncase cable/alarm that allows you to cable-lock the case to something solid - impeding anyone from just walking out with the case.

Solved.
    You are either trained or untrained, and you
    will always fall to the level of your training.

CGN frequent flyer
    I have my guns in an actual "gun safe" with a golden rod heating stick to keep humidity out & never see rust on any gun. I have some ruger handguns in there factory grey plastic boxes lined with wax paper & stacked on a couple of shelves in there & never a problem with them either....

I do fondle & wipe em down 2 or 3 times a yr as well, using those little white cotton gloves to keep finger prints/oils from them too. Bare hands can cause problems with the guns finnish.....JMHO, & it works for me!
    "A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."
    NDP, they just second the motion!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GBG View Post
    All my long guns live in hardcases, in an unfinished basement. None of them, including an 870 "rustomatic" show even a spec of rust. I'm in a high-humidity area to boot. The modern grey-black foam is good for not absorbing moisture. Gun cases are not deal for storage in many ways, but a safe isn't always practical for some people.
    Same experience here. I have a couple rifles that I've stored in cases, one with foam, one lined with a carpet-like material, for almost 20 years. I pull them out and check/oil the surfaces once in a while. And these guns have high-polish blue finishes. A safe isn't really practical for me where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffbird View Post
    I do fondle & wipe em down 2 or 3 times a yr as well, using those little white cotton gloves to keep finger prints/oils from them too. Bare hands can cause problems with the guns finnish.....JMHO, & it works for me!
    I use those black Nitrile gloves in packs of 100 pairs for around 10 bucks. I use them for all my gun cleaning and reloading. They are disposable but I usually keep them until they get dingy then toss and grab a new pair.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123