Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire rifles

Rimfire rifles

Hello All,
    So I'm looking around for a first rifle (looking to buy in about 6 months).
    Ideally the Tavor looks exactly like what I'd like, but I'm wondering if it's an appropriate first firearm.
    I found some cheaper to own/operate in .22LR caliber, but all of the reviews or manufacturer's websites seem to market them to kids.
    Is there any sense in buying a beginner rifle for an adult like myself? Or should I save my money and go straight to the real thing?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    They market them to adults that want them to teach their kids. 22lr is way cheaper to shoot and you can shoot a lot more.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blasted_saber's Avatar
    Get a Ruger 10/22 and dress it up however you want. You can buy it tactical directly from Ruger in the form of the Ruger SR22 or you can purchase a stock kit like the ATI AR-22 and do it very easily by yourself.

I use a Remington 597. It was $220 with a scope and is very fun to shoot. I have had no issues and get good accuracy using CCI ammo

CGN Regular
    There's no need for a starter firearm. It's not a motorcycle. That being said a 22lr is a fine cartridge. I think everyone should own a 22. I recommend a ruger 10/22 in a walnut stock or just basic black synthetic.

Treat yourself to something sweet. Its you first rifle Sheesh... CZ 512. Comes in tactical version as well. If you like that kind of look. Get some FrogLube and G96. You'll be lookin good and smelling good when you hit the range. CCI Mini mags. 40 grain if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Raton57 View Post
    They market them to adults that want them to teach their kids.
    Yea, that's what I meant to say

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    You can buy it tactical directly from Ruger in the form of the Ruger SR22
    Quote Originally Posted by mrussell View Post
    I use a Remington 597
    Quote Originally Posted by 75-B View Post
    CZ 512. Comes in tactical version as well
    Thank guys. Some good recommendations here. I didn't know these existed.

Quote Originally Posted by kevi View Post
    I think everyone should own a 22.
    Besides being cheaper to shoot, what other advantages would you say this caliber provides?

Quote Originally Posted by W944 View Post
    Besides being cheaper to shoot, what other advantages would you say this caliber provides?
    I guess it all depends on what you will end up doing with a .22 calibre.... hunting, plinking, both? All that aside, the abundance of options for .22LR ammunition is a biggy in my books... you want to hunt and not spoil meat with a low penetration cartridge? The ammo is there.... you want high velocity maximum penetration along with a large shock wave and deadly wound cavity? The ammo is there.... you want quiet subsonic ammo? You guessed it, its available.

The abundance of options available to me to customize the cartridge for the job I have at hand has always been what's attracted me so much to the .22lr rimfires....
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” .......... - George Carlin

CGN Regular
    After safety the basics of a first rifle is learning to sight the rifle for the distances you are shooting.
    A 22 does this because you don't have to first learn to ignore any recoil ,to get good at it.

You will never regret buying a good 22.
    Yes I know I need to get a spell csech
    I love this land, but my country has fallen.

STOPnTIME photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast