Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rem 783 PRS/Tactical - New Chassis Option for 2019

Supporting Dealer
    Bolt heads are unique to this rifle... I have been working to secure some direction on availability of parts.

Unfortunately, "Rem" can be a bit demanding when it comes to have a decision and more importantly, parts to offer.

Will post as soon as I can get a firm info and/or parts inhand.

The parts swap is similar to the Savage but Rem has tweaked some of the angles in a very positive manner.... and I feel their extractor shape is better. Time will tell if durability stays but so far, no issues.

See the current Caliber review of this and other rifles.... I feel the current state of Rem 783 is indeed better then the generic Rem 700.

And I just my rebate from Rem for the 783.... Fun, fun, fun.

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

Supporting Dealer
    Had a chance to take apart a couple of Rem 783's last night and we have found that this action uses a version of the Savage prefit barrel.

The options are now endless on what you are rebarrel this action into... AWESOME.

Jerry

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JR Hartman's Avatar
    OK, this is looking very promising.

now, as for the barrels, what profile is the factory one? It doesn't look like a varmint profile barrel, but it doesn't look like a "lite" sporter one either. Will it hold up to repeated rapid firing and stay accurate? If not, do you have access to a reasonable cost varmint profile barrel and if so how much to buy and have you fit one on?

and onto the stocks, Boyds shows a nice laminate thumbhole for it if I read their website correctly. Is this the case? I prefer those to the black one you have shown here. Just a personal preference thing. And will these other Boyds stocks take the bottom metal you are talking about?
    the CGN formerly know as John_in_BC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Great news, I will wait till they come up with a stock that fits the Mag without fiddling! Also, I know you haven't looked at the long action but wondering if they use the same barrels as the short actions, I Have the .308 short and also 7mm R.E.M. Mag and .300 win mag,. I would love to change one of those over to 9.3x62!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Precision View Post
    Attachment 107369

Here are some sneak peaks to my new Rem 783 PRS/Tactical rifle build I have been mentioning in other posts.

Factory barreled action... Very impressed with the features in the action and the barrel, in 243, seems to be shooting very well.

Boyds Pro Varmint stock inletted for CDI DBM. I have modified a Savage Axis DBM to fit... not that far off dimensionally which is not really a surprise

Rail has been installed into the forend so I can use the MPOD or Harris

I got rid of that horrid factory bolt knob and installed an EGW knob instead.... WAY nicer to use.

An EGW 1pc 20 MOA base will be on the rifle in time for spring shooting.

I am impressed by how well this action cycles and functions. It seems to be have been designed for AICS mags as there was no mods needed to the action except fitting the DBM to position the mag in the right place.

Eventually, prefit barrels will be available and costs will be similar to the Savage barrels. A great action, very usable trigger, aftermarket barrels (in time), stocks and chassis available. I hear other aftermarket manfs are looking at this action for parts and accessories.

I have been super keen on Savage actions as donors and still compete with them in F Class but this Rem 783 is far better for mag fed tactical builds.

Enjoy...

Rem 783 Tactical Rifle Build Article

Jerry
    Look at me bringing an old post back from the dead... this EGW bolt cover for a remmy 783... can anyone point me at a link to order one? I'd like one for my own 783
    Thanks
    National Firearms Association Member NFA, Canadian Coalition For Firearms Rights Member CCFR, Canadian Shooting Sports Association Member CSSA,
    Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation Member SWF, Conservative Party of Canada Member CPC

Supporting Dealer
    It is not a bolt cover.. the factory blob is ground off to form a stub. That stub is threaded and the EGW knob is spun on.

Name:  IMG_1704.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  40.3 KB

Kind of like this....

Name:  IMG_2219.jpg
Views: 2365
Size:  104.4 KB

The rifle is still going strong and was used to get a Tactical Div win.

Jerry

BANNED
    Yup loving my 783. So far the only chassis options are the MDT LSS, and the coming Oryx chassis.

Here's mine: Rem 783 Heavy Barrel (actually med contour contrary to the name) in .308 with 16.5" barrel.

The only 100m group I have shot with the chassis so far:

500m group (would have been smaller if I didn't suck so much lol)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JR Hartman's Avatar
    Also Boyds makes a few different ones for it.

Did yours come with that barrell?
    the CGN formerly know as John_in_BC

CGN Regular
    I stumbled across a company called Rehlm last week. They're Canadian and have a chassis for the 783 in S/A and L/A.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer just having some fun's Avatar
    Wondering on the prefits

What are the Barrel / action Threads on the 783

Savage is 1-1/16 x 20

rem 783 is ?????

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast