Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duracoat Firearms Finish Coming to a Gun Store Near You SOON!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Outdoor Supply View Post
    So does Duracoat actually... I've never even tried alumahide; Ive heard its good though. I know a customer emailed me last year with the 7 secret spices that it takes to make duracoat, I did a bit of research and suspect he was correct. But I don't see how anyone can buy 50 Gal Drums of paint, mix it into a thousand colors, package it and sell it, when it can be ordered in pre-tested and professionally packaged kits for a few bucks more from Lauer Weaponry. Some times it makes more sense to stick with the professionals that have been producing a product for years.
    Rich, there is areason why i use duracoat and mot alumahyde and cerakote anymore. Those dont last...and yours does.

Expired Business Member
    We continue to get about 2 duracoat emails a day and have been referring people to the manufacturer as we have no updates.

I sincerely apologize to my regular customers and the various people that built up businesses and hobbies based on the availability of this product line that are now negatively impacted by the lack of supply. I can only hope that this new distributor will be able to provide the product for a comparable/fair price as one customer pointed out its available for 3x retail on amazon.ca as of last week.

For the Interm I was contacted by a Cerakote rep recently and they are more than happy to ship to Canada, and even have a deal worked out to avoid customs and broker fees thus eliminating the need for middle men etc. I've never tried their product (but I guess I might) I think it goes on thinner and may not offer the ability to gob it into hi-wear/contact areas like you generally can with Duracoat; and from their own instruction video they describe it as hard to apply yourself.

I had a customer email me with a link to a Dow Corning Paint that came in clear with the same general properties as Duracoat, but I dont think its cost effective to try and sell bulk paint and mix it a hundred different ways The people who make Duracoat have been doing it a long time and have more experience so if it costs a bit more to get it premixed in pretested colours and finishes I think its a good deal and good idea to stick with Duracoat.
    If anyone hears about this new distributor before me; please let me know as I have a lot of customers for them
    Thanks

CGN Regular
    For the Interm I was contacted by a Cerakote rep recently and they are more than happy to ship to Canada, and even have a deal worked out to avoid customs and broker fees thus eliminating the need for middle men etc. I've never tried their product (but I guess I might) I think it goes on thinner and may not offer the ability to gob it into hi-wear/contact areas like you generally can with Duracoat; and from their own instruction video they describe it as hard to apply yourself.
    Interdasting. In terms of volume, how much cerakote would one use for a typical job, say an AR or small rifle?
    Are you familiar with The Shmoo, Mr. Fisher?

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Shmoo View Post
    Interdasting. In terms of volume, how much cerakote would one use for a typical job, say an AR or small rifle?
    Interdasting indeed! I'm not sure, I bet it requires less than Duracoat though as i believe its a 1 to 2 shot application, I know when you apply durabake it seems to use less paint, but it's thinner and less forgiving so its more difficult to build up on the wear areas like thumb/grip safeties or the sides of a rifle/shotgun that you will rest it on.
    Heres a link to the cerakote training manual.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    Duracaot looks like good stuff, too bad the only country that Lauer Weaponry won't ship to is Canada. However one can order it from Russia???? And yeah, the stuff on Amazon.ca isn't just expensive, it is are-you-out-of-your-freaking-mind expensive.
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

Rich, if you are selling cerakote, then I guess I will follow suits and use that instead. But I just know damn well from experience that duracoats are way stronger and tougher

Expired Business Member
    Hi Sky
    I think you mis understood me.
    I don't plan on selling Cerakote as they don't actually have dealers or give discounts so it effectively costs the same for customers to buy directly. By the time I brought in duracoat and resold it I wasn't really making much on most orders, particularly if you calculate the time it takes for me to deal with Canpar to ship it, then Im sure I was loosing money, but happy to provide a great product for our Canadian customers.
    As for Duracoat I agree with you that when compared to guns with (factory applied Cerakote finish) that Duracoat seems to hold up way better. It might be because manufactures are not following the application process as well as a cerakote trained applicator...but I think its because Duracoat goes on thicker and is more elastic so it can absorb shock better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12