Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for CanAm - 556 pressure

CGN frequent flyer

Question for CanAm - 556 pressure

Hi CanAm,

I have a question for you if I may. In a thread dated November of 2012, you say there is no issue shooting Norinco 556 through a bolt chambered in 223. I'm under the impression that you were talking about the yellow boxed 556 headstamped Cj 93. I have some of the white box Norinco 556 headstamped Cj 95, that "seems" to fire quite a bit hotter than the previous yellow box. I base this only on my eyes, ears, and feel. I have not chronoed it. Is this whiteboxed CJ 95 safe to fire in a 223 chambered bolt?

Thanks CanAm,
    Cal.

CGN frequent flyer
    FWIW I'm talking about shooting it out of a Tikka T3 Lite in 223 1:8 twist.

Thanks,
    Cal.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    i see no reason why not

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    i see no reason why not
    Thanks CanAm. I have heard many different opinions on the safety of doing so. As the importer and vendor of this ammo I take your word above those of others. I appreciate your fast response.

Thanks again CanAm,
    Cal.

Are we going to see any of said ammo in the near future?

The 5.56 NATO round is slightly longer in the throat than a .223 Remington round. A .223 round has no problem in a 5.56 chamber because the throat of the chamber is longer and doesn't interfere with the case of the round. However, firing a 5.56 round in a tight, target .223 chamber (which would usually be the case in a target bolt) can cause an overpressure situation do to the chamber throat being too short and forcing the bullet head back OR damaging the brass as its chambered.#

CAN you shoot a 5.56 NATO round out of a 223 bolt gun? Yeah you can, once maybe twice, maybe even 100 times.... Should you, ABSOLUTELY NOT. It only takes one time firing the WRONG round out of the WRONG chamber to cause the WRONG results.

You can Google the SAAMI technical bulletins which state that SAAMI feels that shooting NATO pressure rounds in a 223 commerical chamber, is considered "dangerous" and shouldn't be done.

Eyes, Ears, and Feel is not exactly an accurate way to measure pressure. It only takes one round, and you may not have any of them.
    Last edited by madcow; 01-30-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madcow View Post
    The 5.56 NATO round is slightly longer in the throat than a .223 Remington round. A .223 round has no problem in a 5.56 chamber because the throat of the chamber is longer and doesn't interfere with the case of the round. However, firing a 5.56 round in a tight, target .223 chamber (which would usually be the case in a target bolt) can cause an overpressure situation do to the chamber throat being too short and forcing the bullet head back OR damaging the brass as its chambered.#

CAN you shoot a 5.56 NATO round out of a 223 bolt gun? Yeah you can, once maybe twice, maybe even 100 times.... Should you, ABSOLUTELY NOT. It only takes one time firing the WRONG round out of the WRONG chamber to cause the WRONG results.

You can Google the SAAMI technical bulletins which state that SAAMI feels that shooting NATO pressure rounds in a 223 commerical chamber, is considered "dangerous" and shouldn't be done.
    Exactly.
    This is why there is a .223 Wylde chambering.
    Ounces leads to pounds, pounds lead to pain.
    Light, strong and cheap - pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by calvados.boulard View Post
    FWIW I'm talking about shooting it out of a Tikka T3 Lite in 223 1:8 twist.

Thanks,
    Cal.
    Do yourself and your rifle a favor and shoot quality 223 (commercial or reloads) and leave the Norc 556 for the AR
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer AB.boy's Avatar
    Its best to check with the firearm manufacturer to see what the rifle is actually chambered for. CZ openly says their 527 rifles are chambered to shoot 5.56 surplus or .223 commercial.

I had several pierced primers shooting norinco yellow box in a bolt gun. I used to use it for plinking. I don't anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast