Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent ex cause pal problems?

Recent ex cause pal problems?

About 4 months ago I left a long term relationship. Just this past weekend I took my firearms and hunting course. If I don't get my ex's signature how hard can this become for me? I'm not sure my ex will even sign just out of spite.

CGN frequent flyer
    From the RCMP website:

"The signatures of your current or former conjugal partners is not legally required. However, if their signatures is not provided, the Chief Firearms Officer has a duty to notify them of your application for a firearms licence."

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5592-eng.pdf

How would they even know if you were recently in a relationship or not ?
    Freedom is never free

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    What ex, your just a happy single guy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Steel355 View Post
    I'm sure if you don't report it you can get in bigger trouble should the other party seek to cause problems. I won't risk that.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    From the RCMP website:

"The signatures of your current or former conjugal partners is not legally required. However, if their signatures is not provided, the Chief Firearms Officer has a duty to notify them of your application for a firearms licence."

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5592-eng.pdf
    I understand I don't need it, but could they say I shouldn't have it out of spite and I get denied? Or do I get the opportunity to defend myself?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel355 View Post
    Because it's a legal requirement to list them if they exist .
    Otherwise you are lying on a legal document .
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magellann View Post
    What ex, your just a happy single guy.....
    With a user name like tough_mama I wouldn't be so quick to jump to the conclusion it is a guy...

Regardless, unless your ex is super-douchey you should be fine. The RCMP will call them to let them know you are applying for a firearms license, and as long as they dont say something like you are a drug dealer, have a drinking problem, or are suicidal, it shouldn't be an issue.

Keep in mind, you are not the first person to go through this, and wont be the last. If your ex says something bad, it might delay the process, but unless you have something hiding in your closet that would remove your eligibility to own firearms, you should be able to get your PAL.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by tough_mama View Post
    I understand I don't need it, but could they say I shouldn't have it out of spite and I get denied? Or do I get the opportunity to defend myself?
    I don't know the answer to that. But, I would guess that, unless you have some history of threats or violence towards your ex (or otherwise, I suppose), the simple fact that an ex-partner might not "want" you to have a firearm, for no verifiable reason, wouldn't be enough to deny your application.

I was sort of wondering this myself while i'm sitting here waiting for my PAL to be approved. My ex isn't a s**t disturber but if she wanted to be that could cause problems or even massive delays getting a permit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast