Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greenhorn. First gun. Cheapskate.

You got my attention with the 7.62 . tell me more, master shifu

Cheapest route would be the Daisy Red Rider and 8000 bb's, set u back $60. Or step up to the big leagues with a SKS and crate of surplus for under $600.
    Buy em cheap, stack em deep!

I can wait a bit and get something better. The real barrier is the cost of ammo.

Can you tell me more about the clubs? I've already looked around and gotten a feel for the cost of clubs, but where can I shoot rifles ( as you imply that they don't need clubs)

From what I'm picking up here, my choices are either ultra cheap ruger 10/22 etc, those savage .223 rifles or the sks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer freezer filler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by safehunter View Post
    ^^^ this.

cooeys 60/600/64 are great value. many sub $200 22's out there - savage / marlin included. For $400 you are almost in cz territory.

centerfire I'd recommend sks since cheap is a priority. again should be sub $200, or slightly above for a nice one.

I'd start with a non restricted. It'll be hard to get $0.25/round outside of 22 or 7.62x39. You can get that in 223 if you reload but a 223 deserves glass and that'll push it above your budget. Pistol calibers maybe but then you need to join a club and those cost.

Assuming you have a pal/rpal

EDIT: If you wait and up your budget there are savage 223's in the EE. Great value guns for target shooting.
    SKS sounds like good advice, but I doubt 223 can be reloaded for much less than $.40

Anyone looked into the Savage Axis kit, comes with a scope which seems like a good starter kind of thing. Seen up and down reviews but for the money it will get you going.

You'll need someone from the Edmonton area to chime in, but here in Ontario, you can target shoot for free on crown land.

Two of my friends have an axis 223. Both are very happy and shoot in the MOAish range at 100 yards - probably 3x as accurate as an sks - they do have some decent glass on them though. I havent reloaded 223 in a while so I believe $0.40/per on reloads is probably more current. When I was shooting factory 223 I did like the value white box from winchester. Think they were around $0.50/per but my info is a bit dated, before the dollar slid. Regardless and IMHO, 223 will be your most economical center fire rifle round, with the notable exception of cheap milsurp rounds (7.62x39 or 54r).

My advice is still the same. Pick up a cooey 22 for $150ish, add a value pack of 22lr ammo and bank the rest. Keep saving for something bigger/better while you plink away.

BANNED
    7.62x39 with an sks, or one of those bolts available from CanAm, is probably your best bet (cheapest, but won't get boring like .22 does)

9mm is next best. That ammo is still relatively cheap, the carbines can be fired at (most) pistol ranges, girls aren't afraid of the recoil/noise and it's either pistol or carbine with quite a few options (both pricey and el cheapo).

.22 is getting so expensive, that I'm not sure there's much difference between corrosive 7.62x39 any more. .22 is fun in waves, then gets boring again.

Okay, I've looked around, and pistols are completely off the list. Having to shoot at ranges is expensive.

So now it's a throwdown between a sks and a .223
    The cost of the firearm is a bit irrelevant, as i can wait a bit to get something better as advised by you gentlemen ; the cost of the ammo is the real kicker.

Which do you think has more to teach a beginner, a .223 bolt or a sks? I plan to keep it for about a year, maybe two and shoot till ive exceeded the limits of the equipment. Remember, learning and getting better is the number 1 priority. If i can learn more from a .223 then i can from the sks, I'll be happy to pick up a bolt and shoot bulk .223 .

Get a savage Axis in 223REM and shoot away !!

You'll get more benefits shooting a bolt 223 than an SKS. Or get a bolt action 22LR, lots of triggee time for cheap. Still loving my savage Mk2 FV, never getting rid of it and it comes out everytime I hit the range or the farm
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast