Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greenhorn. First gun. Cheapskate.

Greenhorn. First gun. Cheapskate.

I'm looking to buy my first gun, but i don't have that much to spend.

As i see it, i can get something like a pt92 and shoot remanufactured 9mm, get a glock+.22 lr conversion kit or get a used .223 bolt action ( less ammo shot per range trip= cheaper )

Or there is the milsurp route. Is a milsurp pistol /rifle a good option for a cash strapped greenhorn? Will i even be able to maintain it or will I be stuck with a rifle i can't get to work? Is surplus ammo available at 9mm cost per round or below?

From what Ive picked up , the quickest way to get better is to put as much lead downrange as possible.

I'm willing to spend upto 400 for the gun and 250 for two months worth of bang bang. I have rented out a gun before, so i estimate I'll use about 700-1000 rounds every two months.

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked your local firearm shop, it is good to be friends with someone who can help guide you on local prices and options!

I'm currently living as a expat in south Asia, so visits to the local shop is out of reach. But i do own a place in Edmonton, and will be residing there a few months down the road.

Awesome sauce!

I am in your situation as well but I said to my self that I rather buy something good once than something bad twice. I kinda have decided on the remington 700 which can be found for a decent price. I look forward to seeing what you purchase.

CGN Regular
    I think you need to refine your wants. Do you want a pistol or rifle? Rimfire or centrefire?

Tbh , it doesn't really matter which.
    The only real requirements is cheap gun that i can learn/grow with that is cheap on ammo.

Tbh , it doesn't really matter which.
    The only real requirements is cheap gun that i can learn/grow with that is cheap on ammo.

There is not much cheap about this sport.
    If cheap is what you value the most get a used .22 bolt gun.
    The .22 is a gateway gun.

I think you are getting me a bit wrong here. I just want to put down lots of lead at a reasonable cost. Learning is the most important thing, but that's entirely sitting on how much i can spend.

If i were to say, delay my plans for a month or two and up the price of the gun to 700 -800 dollars, what would you recommend in the .223 or 9mm range?

Quote Originally Posted by willisjake View Post
    There is not much cheap about this sport.
    If cheap is what you value the most get a used .22 bolt gun.
    ^^^ this.

cooeys 60/600/64 are great value. many sub $200 22's out there - savage / marlin included. For $400 you are almost in cz territory.

centerfire I'd recommend sks since cheap is a priority. again should be sub $200, or slightly above for a nice one.

I'd start with a non restricted. It'll be hard to get $0.25/round outside of 22 or 7.62x39. You can get that in 223 if you reload but a 223 deserves glass and that'll push it above your budget. Pistol calibers maybe but then you need to join a club and those cost.

Assuming you have a pal/rpal

EDIT: If you wait and up your budget there are savage 223's in the EE. Great value guns for target shooting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast