Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED: Al Flaherty's Ammunition Shipping! JUNE 2016

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    Shotgun ammo is big and heavy and expensive to ship without a decent volume discount. they would loose money on it.
    Sure. I've only ordered shotgun ammo about a million times from other vendors. And they all seem to make money on it.

But somehow it's not possible to ship shotgun ammo from Toronto?
    And what's the deal with shipping only two boxes of .22LR at a time? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Honestly; I think you guys are getting scammed by your courier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
    Sure. I've only ordered shotgun ammo about a million times from other vendors. And they all seem to make money on it.

But somehow it's not possible to ship shotgun ammo from Toronto?
    And what's the deal with shipping only two boxes of .22LR at a time? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Honestly; I think you guys are getting scammed by your courier.
    Thats the exact answer from Al Flarehrtys what do you want me to tell you. Using their more than fair pricing scheme for shipping it isn't worth it for them ATM . That 250 case of target shot would cost you 34 bucks to ship from other vendors (i recently priced this) using their prices it would be about $15 that also the reason they limit the ammo accounts. . They also said they are working on further volume discounts.

Its still a good deal its cheaper for my to buy 3 boxes of that auto match stuff and have them ship than it is for my to buy locally. (actually is like 2 bucks more on recalculation)
    Last edited by n00bshoot; 02-20-2016 at 08:42 PM.
    -------------------------------
    I like commie guns

CGN frequent flyer
    Hang on now.

You didn't have this service AT ALL a couple days ago.

They went out of their way to give YOU another option and all you can do is give them grief over it.

Seriously?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    Hang on now.
    You didn't have this service AT ALL a couple days ago.
    They went out of their way to give YOU another option and all you can do is give them grief over it.
    Seriously?
    I think you've got me all wrong.

I'm a huge supporter of this particular vendor. Mainly for political reasons.
    They're the only gun store in downtown Toronto. And they operate in the face of unrelenting anti-gun fanatic politicians.

I look for any excuse to order from them. I would like to order cases of ammo from them.

And I would also like everyone in Canada to be able to order cases of ammo from them.

Still wondering how large orders will be handled. I'm guessing pick-up would be best.
    Splitting a large order into 5 shipments of 1000 rounds (22LR) would give a total shipping cost of $75 (for me at least).

Great though that small ammo orders are now available online.
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TERMINATOR101CA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Flaherty's View Post
    Well, in this case the gentleman told the police it was the only box he bought, and when they came here it was clear it wasn't.
    He must have been a terrible shot, to need a few boxes for one cat...unless this was a BC cat...

Good news on the shipping, but I live 5 min. from the store , lucky me.
    Kate Beckinsale :
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    I'd love to look at her Underworld!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly pete View Post
    And give it a lycan

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmGunGuy View Post
    Still wondering how large orders will be handled. I'm guessing pick-up would be best.
    Splitting a large order into 5 shipments of 1000 rounds (22LR) would give a total shipping cost of $75 (for me at least).

Great though that small ammo orders are now available online.
    I'm certain that Al's could expand on why they chose UPS. Many couriers won't handle dangerous goods (explosives) at all unless you are a business customer. And it's somewhat of a hassle to set up an account in the first place.

Where I work we ship smaller orders by either Purolator (chain of custody account that took months to set up), DHL (their version of Chain of Custody), Canpar (who at one time was the only one that would touch it at all) and if we are shipping a "skid lot" we use Fast Freight (an LTL - less than a truckload carrier) that charges standard freight plus a hazmat fee.

With Fast Freight whether I ship six cases of shotgun shells or 36 cases of shotgun shells the cost is $250 for the skid spot and $45 for the Hazmat (actually Dangerous Goods in Canada - Haz is a US term) and that includes the first 300 kms of distance traveled. Thereafter there is a "charge per kilometer" to destination.

So unless you are buying a small amount (a few boxes) or a pile of cases (where the shipping is spread over many boxes) there is just no viable "middle weight" dangerous goods carrier - at least none that we have found.

Supporting Dealer Al Flaherty's's Avatar
    2066 Dufferin Street, Toronto, Ontario, M6E3R6
    Quote Originally Posted by galamb View Post
    I'm certain that Al's could expand on why they chose UPS. Many couriers won't handle dangerous goods (explosives) at all unless you are a business customer. And it's somewhat of a hassle to set up an account in the first place.

Where I work we ship smaller orders by either Purolator (chain of custody account that took months to set up), DHL (their version of Chain of Custody), Canpar (who at one time was the only one that would touch it at all) and if we are shipping a "skid lot" we use Fast Freight (an LTL - less than a truckload carrier) that charges standard freight plus a hazmat fee.

With Fast Freight whether I ship six cases of shotgun shells or 36 cases of shotgun shells the cost is $250 for the skid spot and $45 for the Hazmat (actually Dangerous Goods in Canada - Haz is a US term) and that includes the first 300 kms of distance traveled. Thereafter there is a "charge per kilometer" to destination.

So unless you are buying a small amount (a few boxes) or a pile of cases (where the shipping is spread over many boxes) there is just no viable "middle weight" dangerous goods carrier - at least none that we have found.
    Just got back from my weekend to read all this.

Graham, You hit the nail on the head. And shotgun ammo is something we'll be set up to ship to some degree in the next few weeks, at least in terms of basic hunting loads, but until we get a volume discount with our carrier it's simply not financially viable without jacking up our prices online to cover the difference, which would of course scare off a lot of customers and be a giant pain in the arse.

Currently we have a slight disconnect between our inventory/retail system and our online website that restricts our shipping rates. In a perfect world we'd have it set up with individual shipping rates on the ammunition vs other products, but currently our vendor/inventory software does not support that (a shortcoming we bring up with the developers regularly). There's a few workarounds we could use that have been considered, but they're generally fairly hodgepodge and would be a pain to remove later, so for now we're doing what we can and routinely encouraging the developers to add in support for custom shipping costs.

Canpar's got a bad rep for dropping stuff off without a signature, so we where forced to use UPS, and even then it took many many weeks to get our clearance setup so they would handle the product.

Thanks to all of you in this thread for your support and patronage, we appreciate it very much and look forward to continuing on with this project!
    Team Al Flaherty's
    www.alflahertys.com
    info@alflahertys.com
    416-651-6436
    Toll free 1-888-651-6436
    Follow us on Twitter @Al Flaherty's
    Follow us on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/al_flahertys/

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TERMINATOR101CA's Avatar
    Are you guys getting any of the new IWI baby Eagles /Jericho that North Sylva was advertising ?
    Kate Beckinsale :
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    I'd love to look at her Underworld!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly pete View Post
    And give it a lycan

Supporting Dealer Al Flaherty's's Avatar
    2066 Dufferin Street, Toronto, Ontario, M6E3R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
    I think you've got me all wrong.

I'm a huge supporter of this particular vendor. Mainly for political reasons.
    They're the only gun store in downtown Toronto. And they operate in the face of unrelenting anti-gun fanatic politicians.

I look for any excuse to order from them. I would like to order cases of ammo from them.

And I would also like everyone in Canada to be able to order cases of ammo from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TERMINATOR101CA View Post
    Are you guys getting any of the new IWI baby Eagles /Jericho that North Sylva was advertising ?
    Likely only by special order unless demand goes crazy high. Lots of interest so far, but nobody wanting to lay down cash.
    Team Al Flaherty's
    www.alflahertys.com
    info@alflahertys.com
    416-651-6436
    Toll free 1-888-651-6436
    Follow us on Twitter @Al Flaherty's
    Follow us on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/al_flahertys/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast