Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grease on the yugo capture K98

Strip down the rifle and bolt and soak them in simple green. Scrape as much as you can off of the wood stock and sweat it out with a hair dryer. That's what I did with mine. Get pipe cleaners and qtips for all the nooks and crannies. Make sure you dissassemble the bolt and clean it too. Mind had a solid cylinder of grease in there.

Put it in the oven. 140-160 will melt it right off.
    Follow through isn't just a shooting fundamental, it's a life skill.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Nestor's Avatar
    Bit late to the party. Excuse my curiosity please. What was the price on these "in the grease" Yugo capture Mausers? Was it different from the ones listed now at $495? Thanks.
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and you make bad decisions.

I have the same rifle with cosmoslin. Use mineral spirits from ct

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tools-...ontent=Default

It works great!!!
    Last edited by Markzdb; 03-06-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
    Bit late to the party. Excuse my curiosity please. What was the price on these "in the grease" Yugo capture Mausers? Was it different from the ones listed now at $495? Thanks.
    I think what they have before are matching numbers 595$ Yugoslavia M98 Mausers, right now is 495$ and they have mismatched number. Just picked up one with metal butt stock, front sight hood and H shape milled barrel band. Very good in condition I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulriver View Post
    Mine came today, spent the morning degreasing the metal with simple green and sweating the grease out by the wood stove. I have seen less grease used in repacking a wheel bearing.

It is pretty much scrubbed, but found a few markings intact.

Wood is pretty good and the metal is excellent. The sight markings are still in the white but only marked on the top.

This is the crack near the stock as described in the ad. (K98-131) It is about 2 inches long. Anthony said wood filler would fix it.

I am very pleased with my purchase. The bolt is slick and the trigger is a little creepy but with a lighter pull than the Mosins.
    Have you shot it yet, at 25m I shot 3 inches left and 3 inches down form bulleye. I think my front sight is too tall.

Naphtha/white gas/coleman fuel.

Excellent degreaser and it evaporates very quickly and leaves no residual contaminants behind.
    There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.

Markzdb, I hope to test fire it tomorrow. My front sight is way over to the left.

There are utube videos about Mausers shooting high, requiring a taller post. So having a front sight that is too tall, it can still be filed to hit point of aim.

I would try it at 100 meters before filling.
    Last edited by Bulriver; 03-05-2016 at 10:38 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Definitely shoot it at 100m before you do anything to the sight. These are sighted in for the distances on the sight... 100 for 100m, 200 for 200m etc. Shooting it at 25m with a 100m setting then saying the sight is too high is a poor way to determine if it is actually zeroed properly. Making sure your using the proper ammo will also determine if you sight is off as well. The loading that would have been used for these rifles is a 198grn bullet at 2500 ft/sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulriver View Post
    Markzdb, I hope to test fire it tomorrow. My front sight is way over to the left.

There are utube videos about Mausers shooting high, requiring a taller post. So having a front sight that is too tall, it can still be filed to hit point of aim.

I would try it at 100 meters before filling.
    I was wrong I did not shoot at 25m...I tried both 50m and 100m, at 50m it shoots 3 inches left and 3 inches low,and at 100m it shoots 6 inches left and 6 inches low haha. I would say the groups are very good half inche at 50m, and I was using 198grn ppu fmjbt ammo.
    Last edited by Markzdb; 03-06-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast