Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Time Restricted Customer

For buying from a dealer:

Get your Restricted PAL
    Buy gun from a dealer
    Wait for the transfer to be approved, the dealer does the transfer, you don't need to call in.
    This takes 1-7 days on average. Quebec often takes up to a month.

Once the transfer is approved you can pick up the gun/have it shipped.

That's it.

Some people call and call and call the CFO until it's transferred. Remember, each time you call, that's taking up time they could be using to do a transfer.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Firstfishman View Post
    My girlfriend and I recently started with restricted weapons and Ill let you know how it went for both of us.

Once you receive your restricted PAL you go to the store/internet and buy your pistol/AR/etc. They will give/send you all the info on the gun you are about to buy. (manufacturer, make, serial number, and a transaction number) You pay for it, you go home. You phone the CFO and tell them you are purchasing a firearm and supply them with everything they need. They will have you scan/take a picture of your RPAL and/or your gun range membership and mail/fax/email them a the copy. You wait a bit (sometimes a day, sometimes a week) and you will receive a Notification of transfer. Call/go to the place where you bought it and chances are they will have already received it. Go get your gun or wait for it to be shipped.

Now this part is important. My CFO informed me that this Notification of Transfer document is only good during this initial period. IT DOES NOT SERVE AS A REGISTRATION. You cannot transport your firearm without having a copy of the valid registration and your RPAL on you at all times. This means, once you get your firearm you must wait until your registration comes in the mail (4-8 weeks depending on a number of things) BEFORE taking your firearm to the range.

Other people will tell you they've used the Notification of Transfer to take their firearm to the range the day they got it, and that's all fine and dandy for them but I wasn't willing to risk it.

Once you have your Registration and RPAL you may take your firearm to/from 5 places. A certified range in your area (doesn't have to be your range), A licensed gun smith, The police, a gun show, or the border. Only small reasonable deviations allowed in your route. What is reasonable to you might not be to a police officer/crown prosecutor/Judge so be careful. If you wish to take it anywhere else you must call the cfo and tell them where you wish to transport it to. They will mail/email/fax you a Short Term Authorization to Transport permit. These can take as little as 15 mins to receive.

Good luck on your new firearm. I just know you're going to love it!

Make sure you get a range membership before buying too many restricted firearms or the CFO will be on your ass to either get one or apply for collector status.
    Follow through isn't just a shooting fundamental, it's a life skill.

Now this part is important. My CFO informed me that this Notification of Transfer document is only good during this initial period. IT DOES NOT SERVE AS A REGISTRATION. You cannot transport your firearm without having a copy of the valid registration and your RPAL on you at all times. This means, once you get your firearm you must wait until your registration comes in the mail (4-8 weeks depending on a number of things) BEFORE taking your firearm to the range.

Other people will tell you they've used the Notification of Transfer to take their firearm to the range the day they got it, and that's all fine and dandy for them but I wasn't willing to risk it.

Once you have your Registration and RPAL you may take your firearm to/from 5 places. A certified range in your area (doesn't have to be your range), A licensed gun smith, The police, a gun show, or the border. Only small reasonable deviations allowed in your route. What is reasonable to you might not be to a police officer/crown prosecutor/Judge so be careful. If you wish to take it anywhere else you must call the cfo and tell them where you wish to transport it to. They will mail/email/fax you a Short Term Authorization to Transport permit. These can take as little as 15 mins to receive.

Congratz on your RPAL.

First, the notice of transfer does INDEED serve as registration until you receive the proper one, otherwise, the CFO wouldnt even LET you get your gun from the store in the first place... thats like saying you can ONLY drive your car from the dealership to your house with the temp plates until you get the real plate...no. If you can get your pistol with the notice, you can do whatever else a registration entitles you too aswell. Refer to section 2.2A-B

Second, your RPAL allows you to take your gun within your province of residence to/from; ANY range, most gun stores/shows, the cops, borders etc...etc... Refer to section 2.1A-E (including CFO office wich is really weird).

From the firearms act.

(2.1) Subject to subsection (2.3), an individ#ual who holds a licence authorizing the individual to possess prohibited firearms or restricted firearms must, if the licence is renewed, be authorized to transport them within the individual’s province of residence

(a) to and from all shooting clubs and shooting ranges that are approved under section 29;

(b) to and from any place a peace officer, firearms officer or chief firearms officer is located, for verification, registration or disposal in accordance with this Act or Part III of the Criminal Code;

(c) to and from a business that holds a licence authorizing it to repair or appraise prohibited firearms or restricted firearms;

(d) to and from a gun show; and

(e) to a port of exit in order to take them outside Canada, and from a port of entry.

Marginal note:Automatic authorization to transport — transfer

(2.2) Subject to subsection (2.3), if a chief firearms officer has authorized the transfer of a prohibited firearm or a restricted firearm to an individual who holds a licence authorizing the individual to possess prohibited firearms or restricted firearms, the individual must be authorized

(a) to transport the firearm within the individual’s province of residence from the place where the individual acquires it to the place where they may possess it under section 17; and

(b) to transport their prohibited firearms and restricted firearms within the individual’s province of residence to and from the places referred to in any of paragraphs (2.1)(a) to (e).

Contact your CFO and request the transfer notification to be sent to your email on your phone, As well as The ATT. Majority of the time with Canada post, they will drop it to your home, if you're there. Picking it up from the post office is just like any other package you would get. Just be sure you have your phone with the emails, so that if needed you can provide proof. It's easy as pie.

My girlfriend and I recently started with restricted weapons and Ill let you know how it went for both of us.

Once you receive your restricted PAL you go to the store/internet and buy your pistol/AR/etc. They will give/send you all the info on the gun you are about to buy. (manufacturer, make, serial number, and a transaction number) You pay for it, you go home. You phone the CFO and tell them you are purchasing a firearm and supply them with everything they need. They will have you scan/take a picture of your RPAL and/or your gun range membership and mail/fax/email them a the copy. You wait a bit (sometimes a day, sometimes a week) and you will receive a Notification of transfer. Call/go to the place where you bought it and chances are they will have already received it. Go get your gun or wait for it to be shipped.

So while I am waitijng for the tranfer or the firearm itself i can call the CFo and start the registration process ?

You don't need to call the CFO for business transfers, only for private transfers. Businesses handle the complete transfer process. All you need to do is buy the gun, provide your details and they will do the rest for you.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Kondor View Post
    So while I am waitijng for the tranfer or the firearm itself i can call the CFo and start the registration process ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    You don't need to call the CFO for business transfers, only for private transfers. Businesses handle the complete transfer process. All you need to do is buy the gun, provide your details and they will do the rest for you.

Ryan
    Even the registration is handled by the business for the customer? if so awesome! look forward to buying my restricted soon!
    Last edited by Kondor; 02-27-2016 at 12:16 AM.

For the first 3 restricted purchases my gf and I made, the CFO wanted us to send a copy of our valid range memberships. The companies arent always run by the most competent of people, and they dont always send them in. So if youre fine with waiting a few months until you call to ask wtf is going on, feel free. I prefer to call and see if there is anything they require that I can personally take care of.

A lot of people will tell you their interpretation of the laws, I think its better to call the cfo and ask myself. you will be surprised how much a professionals interpretation differs from internet professionals. Im not saying anyone is outright wrong or misleading you. Im just saying, FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. The call will take maybe 5 mins at max.

Telling a judge "joeblow whaddaya know" on CGN told me that its ok to do (insert advice here) isnt going to cut it. " I called the CFO on October 23, 2015 and specifically asked if (insert action here) was permissible and they advised me that it was ok most likely wont cut it either, but it might.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12