Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SKS adapter- cannot insert full mag with bolt closed

SKS adapter- cannot insert full mag with bolt closed

Hello folks, I need your advise on modifying the bolt to allow for inserting the full magazine when the bolt is closed. Currently, if the bolt is closed I can insert an XCR mag with 9 rounds and it will lock in place and would function properly. However, if add the 10th round and try to insert the mag (with the bolt closed) it won't lock in place insert and won't feed. It appears that that without the 10th round the mag has a room to compress the spring when the top round is pushed against the bottom of the bolt. But there is no room if the mag is full. I have tried to machine the bottom of the bolt on one side to make room for the 10th round but I am afraid that I am doing this incorrectly. I can now lock the full magazine in place but I am not able to open the bolt (the machined grove at the bottom of the bolt is rubbing against the dummy cartridges and chews them up) Any suggestions? How do you address this issue (or you just insert the mags with the open bolts?)
    Please see the pic below
    “If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.” - Mark Twain

CGN frequent flyer warrenlikesboats's Avatar
    My guess would be that you cannot successfully modify the entire bottom of the bolt to fit the 10th round and still have it cycle problem free.... just a guess. And you would be better off figuring out a way to allow the mag to hold 10.75rnds instead ?

Good god brother, put your bolt away.
    The magazine follower has legs, trim them.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dad003's Avatar
    you only need to grind bot side of the bolt to remove the slot in the bolt , not only one side , you want way too deep too you gonna need a new bolts you didnt follow correctly the tuto

That why your dummy get stuck under you are too deep poor SKS

it suppose to look like that

»The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.« Thomas Jefferson

I have purchased the sks with the adapter mod done by fellow CGN member. He did follow the instruction (the bolt looked like the picture above). And then comes yours truly and wants to make an "improvement'. That is to make it accept a full magazine with 10 rounds in it when the bolt is closed. This is to give you some context. I will be ordering a replacement bolt from www.leverarms.com/. Now, is there anyone who has successfully implemented this without messing up with the magazine? And if so please share what exactly needs to be done
    “If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.” - Mark Twain

I wonder if this would make it a prohibited device...

Isn't it the norm for what you're experiencing?... I would either run 9 rounds in the mags if you are most comfortable with that, or condition 1 (one in the chamber, safety on).

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHands13 View Post
    Isn't it the norm for what you're experiencing?... I would either run 9 rounds in the mags if you are most comfortable with that, or condition 1 (one in the chamber, safety on).
    This is what I am trying to find out - if this is the "norm" for all the folks out there, or there are people who have found the way to improve on this issue.

CGN frequent flyer warrenlikesboats's Avatar
    Im fairly sure the only way to achieve what you want would be to modify the magazine to hold ALMOST 11 rnds (and im not even sure that would be enough). I cant see how you could shorten the underside of the bolt enough to make room for the 10th rnd. Im guessing 9rnds clicked into the rifle with the bolt closed is the norm, just like people running tapco mags clicking in with only 4 rounds.

If you can insert the mag on a closed bolt, the bolt mod is not the problem...must be the mags are too tight. With ten rounds loaded in the mag, can you push them down a bit below the lips? If not, you can file an 1/8" or so off the follower legs to allow 10.5 rounds in the mag. This will give you room to load a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt. Just be careful...use a hand file and go slowly. Take a bit off, test, take more if necessary. You want to be careful you don't take so much off you can fit an 11th round in. It's easy if you go slow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast