Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .50 cal upper

I'd love one of these things, but question is, where the heck can you even use one of these? I don't know any ranges out around where I live that allow .50 but then I may be missing one. Because I'd love to grab one, simply because apparently I love to roll my money up and fire it out the barrel of my guns.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Crown land with a proper back stop... When the whole NR lower pans out

Two ranges I can think of in MB that allow .50

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Pardon my ignorance, I've never owned, built, or known anyone that has built or owned an AR-15. What additional components would be required to get a functional, non-restricted shootable rifle out of these two parts? You buy the upper from CanadaAmmo, the non-restricted lower from Alberta Tactical (Or CanadaAmmo in the future, maybe). Then I assume you're left needing a stock, and a pistol grip (These will be compatible with any AR-15 lower, I assume?). Is there anything else (sights or optics/mounts excluded) that I'm missing?

Thanks

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

CGN frequent flyer FirearmsEnthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotrek View Post
    Crown land with a proper back stop... When the whole NR lower pans out

Two ranges I can think of in MB that allow .50
    The basic DA50 using an AR-15 lower is, unfortunately, restricted as an AR variant, so no crown land shooting with this configuration. Fortunately, Alberta Tactical offers a lower and an upper modification that results in a non-restricted configuration. Once modified, the upper can no longer be mounted on an AR-15 receiver.
    Are you saying I'm a "gun nut"? I prefer the term "Firearms Enthusiast"...

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, I've never owned, built, or known anyone that has built or owned an AR-15. What additional components would be required to get a functional, non-restricted shootable rifle out of these two parts? You buy the upper from CanadaAmmo, the non-restricted lower from Alberta Tactical (Or CanadaAmmo in the future, maybe). Then I assume you're left needing a stock, and a pistol grip (These will be compatible with any AR-15 lower, I assume?). Is there anything else (sights or optics/mounts excluded) that I'm missing?

Thanks
    For the AR-15 configuration, you need a standard AR lower with full parts kit installed. You then replace the hammer and hammer spring with one supplied with the DA50 upper to ignite those hard .50 primers. I strongly recommend a fixed stock, as I wouldn't want t collapsible to choose to fold back up under recoil! I have a Magpul PRS on mine and it's awesome. You also need a bipod (the upper weighs 25 lbs!) - I use an LRA that mounts to the lower rail. I use an Ergo palm shelf grip on my lower - good fit and grip in recoil. Add an optic of your choice (I use a Vortex - something with a lifetime warranty) and you're good to go - as a restricted that is.

Alberta Tactical Rifle offers the non-restricted lower and you ship your upper back for installation of a welded-on block that prevents the mating of the modified upper with a standard AR-15 receiver. The result is a non-restricted configuration.

This should help, Scotty.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...1#post11248367
    The first 170 or so posts can be ignored, so start here.

Cant wait for Canadaammo to offer a lower to turn mine into a NR.... I know ATRS has theirs, but Im a 'budget' .50 owner...lol
    CSSA / CCFR / CPC (almost to the point of walking away)

Quote Originally Posted by FirearmsEnthusiast View Post
    For the AR-15 configuration, you need a standard AR lower with full parts kit installed. You then replace the hammer and hammer spring with one supplied with the DA50 upper to ignite those hard .50 primers. I strongly recommend a fixed stock, as I wouldn't want t collapsible to choose to fold back up under recoil! I have a Magpul PRS on mine and it's awesome. You also need a bipod (the upper weighs 25 lbs!) - I use an LRA that mounts to the lower rail. I use an Ergo palm shelf grip on my lower - good fit and grip in recoil. Add an optic of your choice (I use a Vortex - something with a lifetime warranty) and you're good to go - as a restricted that is.

Alberta Tactical Rifle offers the non-restricted lower and you ship your upper back for installation of a welded-on block that prevents the mating of the modified upper with a standard AR-15 receiver. The result is a non-restricted configuration.
    Here's a shot of my Gen1 DA50 Upper at the range last summer...I added a LimbSaver pad to the end of the PRS stock after the stock left an impression on my 15 year old son's shoulder (his Mother would be very upset if she knew).

Seriously big, fun gun!

Name:  IMG_0291.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  85.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FirearmsEnthusiast View Post
    Here's a shot of my Gen1 DA50 Upper at the range last summer...I added a LimbSaver pad to the end of the PRS stock after the stock left an impression on my 15 year old son's shoulder (his Mother would be very upset if she knew).

Seriously big, fun gun!

Name:  IMG_0291.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  85.2 KB
    Is that an Atlas Bipod? Wonder what bipod would work well for these big guys. Also the slip on limbsaver, medium or large size? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shaddp View Post
    Is that an Atlas Bipod? Wonder what bipod would work well for these big guys. Also the slip on limbsaver, medium or large size? Thanks!
    That's an LRA bipod. I have also used an Altas and both are fine. I would keep the leg length short in any case.

Can't recall for sure, but I think the Limbsaver was a medium. It's a slip-on version, though I believe they also make one that is designed to replace the butt plate of the PRS specifically.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast