Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: importing scopes from the USA for dummies

Just a heads up not all scopes or optics are importable.

Make sure the scope or optic is not ITAR controlled or it may not make it here and you will be stuck with an optic on the other side of the border.

Quote Originally Posted by derrob7 View Post
    Make sure the scope or optic is not ITAR controlled
    What you're saying is not 100% correct - pretty much ALL rifle scopes from the US are ITAR controlled. And you can have pretty much any riflescope imported through Prophet River.

As an example, look up Optics planet's and Cabelas and Basspro's prosecutions for exporting scopes, that is why they are nervous about it. And there are certain classifications of scopes that you will have to go thru the wringer for, to get them out of the US. A couple of yrs ago, Leupold had those models of scopes marked on their website, I don't see them there now, maybe they now have licences to export those models under specific circumstances. If the mfgr doesn't have that licence, and you don't supply the right end user certification to make them happy, it won't make it past US customs. Doesn't matter who other than the mfgr is selling it down south, the mfgr has to have the clearance/licence from State to export it to begin with.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by derrob7 View Post
    Just a heads up not all scopes or optics are importable.

Make sure the scope or optic is not ITAR controlled or it may not make it here and you will be stuck with an optic on the other side of the border.
    It's not that they're not importable, ITAR makes them not exportable. The Canadian side doesn't care.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh030 View Post
    Does anybody know of optics planet will cooperate with this?
    If the item is marked as export restricted the transaction will very likely get flagged by your IP address or credit card info. I had this problem with some reloading equipment that was to be shipped within the US. They'll send you some forms to fill out which may or may not allow the order to proceed.

I cant see why optics planet or anybody over there would care. As long as it has the ITAR number it should be treated any different than shipping to anybody else in the states. Just put down shipping info for Prophet River and done. PR is great to deal with, just wish they had stuff little cheaper.

They'll red flag it if you pay with a CDN credit card, and they sometimes recognize the address to ship to as a "freight forwarding" address....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yodave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunneegoogoo View Post
    They'll red flag it if you pay with a CDN credit card, and they sometimes recognize the address to ship to as a "freight forwarding" address....
    I wired the money down, your right because there was no way they could run my credit card
    If you private message me and don't get a reply within 24 hours there is a good chance you've earned a spot on my ignore list

Friends don't let friends drive fords

I've purchased scopes rom the states, they always marked the box as binoculars

Quote Originally Posted by yodave View Post
    I wired the money down, your right because there was no way they could run my credit card
    To optics planet?? When I tried with them, to have it shipped to a Montana address, they flagged my CC and refused the sale of the scope. They sent me messages like I was an international criminal for daring to try.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast