Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading materials for beginners - R/PAL practice, beginners' marksmanship, etc.

Reading materials for beginners - R/PAL practice, beginners' marksmanship, etc.

Hey! So I just signed up for my RPAL course at Ready AIM in Oakville. I'll be taking the course with a friend in late April. I understand these places give you lots of preparation for the exams but I'd like to go in with a bit of a leg-up if you will. I think, for a newbie, I've already got some good habits WRT safe handling but I want to ace that practical. Could you point me in the direction of some study and practice materials? I'm aware of the ACTS/PROVE mnemonics for making safe a firearm; should I just drill those into my head repeatedly? Some tutorial videos would be nice.

While I'm here, I'd like to learn about marksmanship, maintenance, general firearms lexicon, etc. Basically I want to sponge up all the knowledge I can, so that I'm well-prepared when I buy my first firearms. If you could recommend me some books on marksmanship that'd be excellent. Thanks for your time, happy shooting!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sulisa's Avatar
    In the course, you'll be given opportunity to handle the different types of firearms. Take every opportunity you're given.

Know the ACTS and PROVE. If you pick up a firearm, do them. If the instructor then says to load a couple cartridges, and you put the firearm down to reach for them, then do the ACTS and PROVE again (any time you leave the firearm for even a second).

They'll expect you to be nervous, and fumble a bit with the controls, but as long as you get it figured out, you'll be fine. The two things that will automatically fail you are:
    - pointing the muzzle in any direction other than their "safe direction", and
    - putting your finger inside the trigger guard (and don't even think about pulling the trigger)

If you have to do something that would normally fail you, ask first, so they know what you're doing. For example:
    - if you don't have a proving rod, and decide to do a visual inspection of the bore, tell the instructor first, "I'm going to do a visual inspection of the bore".
    - if you have a rifle with a half-cock safety, and you have to pull the trigger to release the safety, say "I'm going to use the trigger to release the half-cock safety", then very gently release the hammer half-cock.

The above examples demonstrate that you a well aware of the safety rules, and you're not going to surprise the instructor. If you do either of the above unannounced, you're finished.

Otherwise, for the theory part, the manual is here, if you want an early start on it:
    ht tp://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/CFSCmanualVer2.pdf

Lots of video's on youtube for PROVEing firearms of all action types

CGN Regular

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sulisa View Post
    In the course, you'll be given opportunity to handle the different types of firearms. Take every opportunity you're given.

Know the ACTS and PROVE. If you pick up a firearm, do them. If the instructor then says to load a couple cartridges, and you put the firearm down to reach for them, then do the ACTS and PROVE again (any time you leave the firearm for even a second).

They'll expect you to be nervous, and fumble a bit with the controls, but as long as you get it figured out, you'll be fine. The two things that will automatically fail you are:
    - pointing the muzzle in any direction other than their "safe direction", and
    - putting your finger inside the trigger guard (and don't even think about pulling the trigger)

If you have to do something that would normally fail you, ask first, so they know what you're doing. For example:
    - if you don't have a proving rod, and decide to do a visual inspection of the bore, tell the instructor first, "I'm going to do a visual inspection of the bore".
    - if you have a rifle with a half-cock safety, and you have to pull the trigger to release the safety, say "I'm going to use the trigger to release the half-cock safety", then very gently release the hammer half-cock.

The above examples demonstrate that you a well aware of the safety rules, and you're not going to surprise the instructor. If you do either of the above unannounced, you're finished.

Otherwise, for the theory part, the manual is here, if you want an early start on it:
    ht tp://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/CFSCmanualVer2.pdf
    Best advice I've seen in a while !

What's been mentioned is all you need for the course, it's easy. Pay attention and don't panic and you'll be fine. The practical is also easy, they don't try and trick you up. If you really want to get some practice a head of time then drop in on a friend and practice PROVE on their different firearms. But really, the course is easy and is designed for people handling firearms for the very first time, so they understand if you're fumbling a bit. Just keep the barrel under control and your finger off the trigger and you'll be more than fine. If you start to panic, just stop, and recite the steps of PROVE out loud as you do them. That will slow you down and force you to get through each step. Nothing wrong with saying out loud instead of trying to prove you've got it memorized in your head.

If you don't mind I'd like to add to the thread a bit. Having completed my pal a couple of years ago and more recently my rpal I'd also be looking for some books to read, I'm more old school and although I'm fine watching youtube videos I like a good hardcopy I can keep by the bed/can and read whenever I want from wherever I want. There is a good thread here on books:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...-books-on-guns

I ordered a couple of these but they are well advanced for my current level of knowledge and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation on the fundamentals of firearms (ie. the various components and how they work together, basics of gun smithing etc..., shooting techniques from various positions, hand positioning, trigger pulling, sight acquisition, etc...).

Just thought I'd ask that here instead of my own thread as I'm guessing you would also be interested in something like that.

CGN Regular
    Dont need to make safe a weapon when youve already done so 2 seconds ago simply because youre putting it down. Also, putting finger in the guard is not an automatic fail, only pts deducted. Different instructors will emphasize on different things based on their personality. Stop scaring the kid, course is super easy and designed for a dummy to pass. Verbalize what youre doijg and thought process is a good practice thouh, lets the instructor know you understand what youre doing.

Outstanding! Thanks very much for the advice, everyone.

EDIT: I don't find any of this scary. I appreciate how meticulously sulisa broke it down, actually.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dirtybarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin82 View Post
    Lots of video's on youtube for PROVEing firearms of all action types
    Including every single one of the official videos that you will see in the course. And for free!
    The downside of learning stuff is that it makes me realize how much I don't know.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Know atleast a few gun calibers and what the ammo looks like. Saves time and embarrassment when asked to pick up a 22LR and your looking for data stamps on a Colt 45 or worse in my course a 3" shotgun shell (we were all very worried at that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast