Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M16 parts kit and M-14 National Match Rear Sight

Very nice Johnone and Johntwo, correcting the description, though my invoice still says National Match and when I screen shot my past orders on the webpage about two hours ago it also said National Match. Now it has magically been changed to M14/M1 Garand Sight.
    Last edited by McCDan; 04-12-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Just received mine, and it's not a NM sight either.
    I will call Marstar tomorrow.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Odd Shot's Avatar
    What's going on Marstar?
    You can't advertise NM and send a standard.

From the Online Edition of M14 Rifle History and Development
    "Rear Sight Assembly - The standard issue rear sight aperture has a diameter of 0.069 " + 0.005 ". The USGI M14 also had two National Match rear sight aperture sizes, 0.0520 " and 0.0595 ". Either National Match rear sight aperture can be fitted with an adjustable hood (National Match rear sight apertures without the hood were made only for the M1 Garand rifle). Use of the hood on the rear sight allows for one-half minute of angle adjustments in elevation. The elevation knob always moves point of impact one minute of angle per click, while rotating the sight hood will add or subtract a half-minute of angle of elevation. A notch in the rear of the hood designates the direction of the extra adjustment—rotating the notch from the six o’clock position to the twelve o’clock position will add elevation, while rotating the notch from the top position to be on the bottom will subtract elevation. The hooded eyepiece was developed by no later than May 1961 at Springfield Armory by Nicholas J. Angelica.

Rear Sight Base - The M14 standard (rack grade) rear sight base was borrowed from the same 1937 vintage part for the M1 Garand rifle. Additionally, three other rear sight bases could fit the M14 rifle. These rear sight bases were marked NM, NM/2 and NM/2A. The NM rear sight base was designed about 1958. It accepted a non-hooded rear sight aperture but would not allow a hooded aperture to fully lower into the base. The 1961 design NM/2 rear sight base was a NM rear sight base machined after manufacture to allow a hooded aperture to fully seat in the base. Subsequent to the NM/2 modification, the 1963 design NM/2A rear sight base was a newly manufactured part that allowed the rear sight base to be fully lowered into the base.

Elevation and Windage Knobs - The M14 type elevation knob will have the letter M inscribed on it between the numbers 10 and 11. This denotes calibration in meters. If the elevation knob does not have a letter M, the knob is calibrated in yards and was made for the M1 Garand rifle. As a rule, M1 Garand rifle elevation knobs were not allowed on M14 rifles in the U. S. military. However, for a period of four months or less in 1969, M1 Garand rifle elevation knobs were authorized for replacement of M14 elevation knobs on M14 rifles at Fort Bragg. During this time, there was a shortage of M14 elevation knobs in the Army supply system. The elevation knobs on the M14 rifles at the Basic Training shooting ranges had worn out from use by recruits. In order to keep the M14 rifles in service for training and qualification, Rock Island Arsenal authorized the short term substitution of M1 Garand elevation knobs for the M14 rifles.

The windage knob on an M14 type rifle will either be the standard one minute per click adjustment, or the National Match model of one-half minute of angle per click adjustment. The National Match windage knob must be matched to a National Match rear sight base because they both have finer threads than the standard USGI parts. The finer threads of the National Match rear sight parts allow the smaller angle adjustments."
    Last edited by Odd Shot; 04-13-2016 at 07:46 AM.

It's pretty annoying but I can't see it being deliberate. Likely bought from the same vendor as last time and nobody noticed the difference in this batch. There's people who already received and installed theirs and didn't realize the difference. They fixed the description on their page and I'm sure they'll make it right for those who bought the sights. They probably have a lot of customers to contact. I would think they shipped quite a few and it seems people just started getting them yesterday. I'm sure they'll get blasted more than they deserve in this thread.

Edit: called them and was told these are 'National Match Grade' despite having none of the NM features and if I'm not happy with them I can send them back and wait a long time for the real NM sights to come in. He did apologize for the mistaken description. I'm going to keep mine because the Norc sights I took off were hooped and I'd be stuck with no sights. If the real ones ever do come in maybe I'll order them.

Just going to leave this quote here pulled from the other Marstar National Match sight thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    The question was were they national match, I simply stated look at the picture as they are marked....

YES THEY ARE NATIONAL MATCH....

Why would we say they are if they were not ??
    John
    Last edited by McCDan; 04-13-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Expired Business
    Quote Originally Posted by McCDan View Post
    It's pretty annoying but I can't see it being deliberate. Likely bought from the same vendor as last time and nobody noticed the difference in this batch. There's people who already received and installed theirs and didn't realize the difference. They fixed the description on their page and I'm sure they'll make it right for those who bought the sights. They probably have a lot of customers to contact. I would think they shipped quite a few and it seems people just started getting them yesterday. I'm sure they'll get blasted more than they deserve in this thread.

Edit: called them and was told these are 'National Match Grade' despite having none of the NM features and if I'm not happy with them I can send them back and wait a long time for the real NM sights to come in. He did apologize for the mistaken description. I'm going to keep mine because the Norc sights I took off were hooped and I'd be stuck with no sights. If the real ones ever do come in maybe I'll order them.

Just going to leave this quote here pulled from the other Marstar National Match sight thread.
    We were told by the manufacturer that the sights we received were 32 pitch (1 MOA) . The last batch were 64 pitch.(1/2 MOA)
    Anybody not happy with their purchase please return for a full refund, including mail charges.
    John

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    I was wondering about that myself.

I'm glad that I listened to my gut and only bought one for the norc, instead of one for the M1 as well. I hate returning stuff..

I figured on replacing the norcs sight anyway. Just a bit less of a bargain than it seemed to be at first.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Beater's Avatar
    got mine. very nice NM or not still a bargin at 99$ wayyyyyyyyy better than the norc. still happy
    payment within 24 hours , if not i retain the right to cancel the deal

Country of origin would be nice. NM is not important to my wonky eyes and shaky shooting stance.
    when guns are outlawed we become subjects.

Non-compliance, 'cause bad laws are worse than no laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Beater View Post
    wth nobody bitching about this yet?? im pretty surprised. lol
    did you know these were not NM ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-trident-1 View Post
    did you know these were not NM ?
    I think he was talking about the kits, containing a few extra parts!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast