Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Restricted first time: Need to be a member/show proof of range membership?

Contributing Dealer Prophet River's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by conrad01 View Post
    sask and alberta need proof of a range membership to buy a hand gun. At least that is what prophet gun told me.
    Or have a licence as a collector, or a ATC. Of course, its not really the law, its a CFO requirement to prove you are a 'target shooter'.
    www.prophetriver.com
    inquiries - 780-875-0575 / info@prophetriver.com
    Prophet River Firearms
    4206 66th Ave
    Lloydminster, AB
    T9V 3S9

Okay I am a first time restricted buyer and just completed the course in March. I found a pistol online and made the purchase. My understanding is the gun shop must contact the CFO in BC to get it registered since I haven't possessed a pistol before?

I placed the order on April 29, of course provided my RPAL#, birthdate, name and I included my range name and membership number and I haven't heard a peep yet, is that typical or do I need to do some nudging or provide information?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wester View Post
    Okay I am a first time restricted buyer and just completed the course in March. I found a pistol online and made the purchase. My understanding is the gun shop must contact the CFO in BC to get it registered since I haven't possessed a pistol before?

I placed the order on April 29, of course provided my RPAL#, birthdate, name and I included my range name and membership number and I haven't heard a peep yet, is that typical or do I need to do some nudging or provide information?
    First purchase can take a week or two, you can follow up with the rcmp for a status update.

I have a pistol purchase delayed two weeks now because proof of club membership is required in BC... I scanned my club ID and e-mailed to the CFO attn: transfer reference #.... called to confirm and was told it takes 5-7 days to process that and move forward... so 3+ weeks to get things sorted and then 4-5 days shipping time from seller.. I'm frustrated, hell it only takes 5 minutes to transfer title on a vehicle for cryin out loud!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumonda View Post
    I have a pistol purchase delayed two weeks now because proof of club membership is required in BC... I scanned my club ID and e-mailed to the CFO attn: transfer reference #.... called to confirm and was told it takes 5-7 days to process that and move forward... so 3+ weeks to get things sorted and then 4-5 days shipping time from seller.. I'm frustrated, hell it only takes 5 minutes to transfer title on a vehicle for cryin out loud!
    Your next purchase should be much quicker now that they have your club info on file.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
    Your next purchase should be much quicker now that they have your club info on file.
    I'm sure you are right.... but what if I was just interested in collecting and not into shooting? lol

CGN frequent flyer
    Not required by law, but the CFO does it anyway because they have not be challenged in court.

I would, but I have better things right now to spend $5k or so on.

i submitted my range memberships a week before buying my first restricted.
    When i bought my first restricted transfer took less than 24 hours.

Well, it just got approved.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
    First purchase can take a week or two, you can follow up with the rcmp for a status update.
    That's what I thought too. However it wasn't the case. First time on a brand new RPAL for a restricted from Alberta shipped to Ontario. Took all of half a day. Sent the RPAL and range membership when we got home and it was shipped the next day.

Why so fast? (not that I'm complaining!!!)
    ICORE/IPSC/USPSA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast