Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Restricted first time: Need to be a member/show proof of range membership?

Purchasing Restricted first time: Need to be a member/show proof of range membership?

Looking at my first pistol & am wondering if I need proof of range membership to buy if ordering online? Haven't decided which range I'm gonna join yet.

As far as I am aware, you only need proof of range membership to get your actual RPAL. I bought 2 restricted pistols this year and none have required proof of range membership just a valid RPAL.

How did you manage to get a restricted license (RPAL) if you don't have a range membership yet?
    Last edited by Weekend Gunslingers; 04-04-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weekend Gunslingers View Post
    As far as I am aware, you only need proof of range membership to get your actual RPAL. I bought 2 restricted pistols this year and none have required proof of range membership just a valid RPAL.

How did you manage to get a restricted license (RPAL) if you don't have a range membership yet?
    I think you're confused, because you definitely don't need a range membership to get an RPAL. But you did still answer my question. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blumhagen View Post
    I think you're confused, because you definitely don't need a range membership to get an RPAL. But you did still answer my question. Thanks!
    May have been needed for the long term ATT then, or it could have changed since I got mine, its been a while
    Last edited by Weekend Gunslingers; 04-04-2016 at 11:43 PM.

CGN frequent flyer
    I recently purchased a new restricted firearm in Alberta. It's been a few years and the CFO requested proof of range membership to update my file when I called to complete the transfer. I didn't argue the point. I already had a valid LTATT.

didn't C-42 make that illegal? Are CFO's not restricted to attaching conditions ONLY within law now? Meaning if it isn't in the FA they can't just use any 'reasonable condition' anymore?
    Living in Calgary

BTSA member

I think it's different province to province. In Ontario you don't need a range membership for a restricted purchase....I know, I have 4 I've picked up in the past few months and I'm still waiting on one of the applications to go through. When you call up to do the transfer of ownership the CFOs office will ask you what your purpose in purchasing is, just say target shooting and that you have an application in at a local field. With all that said, it may be different in Alberta, hopefully someone from the province can shed some light.

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
    didn't C-42 make that illegal? Are CFO's not restricted to attaching conditions ONLY within law now? Meaning if it isn't in the FA they can't just use any 'reasonable condition' anymore?
    They still approve transfers so they tell you that you have to belong to a range to prove you are using it for target shooting. They have enough leeway in the law that they can impose stupid rules (not laws) to try and make it more difficult. If you have deep pockets you can fight it out in court OR just pay a membership fee somewhere and you're good to go.
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

sask and alberta need proof of a range membership to buy a hand gun. At least that is what prophet gun told me.

You can get your Rpal without a range membership. If it is a new rpal you just don't have the "non standard conditions... Ie new att" attached. Proof of range membership is required for transfer of any restricted firearm now because you are most likely a target shooter and can't shoot your restricted anywhere but a range. Older rpals probably haven't been fully updated yet, so you will probably get a request for info at renewal or next restricted purchase.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast