Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Damascus steel knives

BANNED
    A guy and his son were selling knives similar to these at the cgy gunshow. He said they were made in Turkey. He was charging between 40-60$
    The knifes looked like decent quality, the sheaths were of lesser quality. They looked to be good value and made me stop and talk to him. Nice guys too.

I would love to see the chef's knives and the hatchets!

Ian

GunNutz
    While were on the topic of knives,what's the dif between Damascus metal knives and normal knifed metals ? Sorry but I don't know and have been meaning to ask this q.
    Thanks, !
    I really miss my ex but my aim is getting better !

BANNED
    Damascus steel is made of layers of metal forged together...in high end Japanese kitchen knives like my Hattori, they use bundles of stainless steel wire, creating an organic looking wavy pattern. Technically speaking, this is NOT the same thing as Damascus steel, as the modern day process and product bears little to no resemblance to the original medieval Syrian steel.

FF

GunNutz
    So which is a better knife to have for skinning,etc deer and moose ? Guess I should've said that as well
    I really miss my ex but my aim is getting better !

I've been looking for an affordable Damascus knife for hunting. I really like the one with the blue on the handle (4th from the top). What would the price range be on those knives?

BANNED
    Damascus is prettier. Not sharper nor more durable.

The material, the shape and the bevel of the cutting edge determines the properties to a large extent. My Sabatier is a 10" French knife made of carbon steel. When I take my time and go all the way up to 1000 grit waterstones, the cutting edge is a mirror and it will cut a ripe tomato like it isn't there. The tradeoff is that the moment I am done using it, I clean it and dry it. My Hattori is an expensive Japanese knife and will get as sharp, but is far thinner and is much more forgiving in terms of being wet. My Hattori was hundreds of dollars. My Sabatier was $45 in Paris. Personally, I prefer the Sabatier's shape for most things and I enjoy the discipline required: cut, wash, dry. For heavier duty cutting, I have a $60 Tojiro DP Western Deba. Its blade is thick and bulky. It is not as refined, but it will chop through bone cleanly.

FF

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    My birthday is coming up and need to figure out what to buy myself again. I like the folders and a couple of the sheath knives.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I understood the actual art of original Damascus steel forging was lost? Harold

Google is your friend. Toronto has at least three or four places that sell Japanese knives, and at least one place in Calgary. Check out all the websites. They can provide you with a lot of knowledge. Some blade are made out of different materials, such as stainless on the outside layers and carbon on the inner layers. Also all kinds of hardness's available.

the knives are one thing, but the stones will set you back even more. I also use a straight razor and have stones up to 18 000 grit.

The knives in this thread should provide you with decent tough knives. I would never consider using a hand forged Japanese knife for boning out anything.
    JUST SHUT UP AND DO IT

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast