Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Damascus steel knives

CGN Ultra frequent flyer orthoboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanymachines View Post
    Google is your friend. Toronto has at least three or four places that sell Japanese knives, and at least one place in Calgary. Check out all the websites. They can provide you with a lot of knowledge. Some blade are made out of different materials, such as stainless on the outside layers and carbon on the inner layers. Also all kinds of hardness's available.

the knives are one thing, but the stones will set you back even more. I also use a straight razor and have stones up to 18 000 grit.

The knives in this thread should provide you with decent tough knives. I would never consider using a hand forged Japanese knife for boning out anything.

Totally agree. My handmade Japanese are for sashimi only. It's a bit about the show, but deboning I go to my German steel.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    These are the same as the ones that Corwin sells, of which I have one. It's decent, holds a reasonable edge but needs to be honed regularly. There's a ton of these on Amazon in the $20 range, I paid $42 for mine from Corwin. Had to restich the sheath and give it a good working over on a diamond stone and then an oil stone. I like it but an expensive knife it is not, for $40 I'm totally happy with it for general utility use. It's sharp, compact and easy on the eyes.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johntwo View Post
    Third from the bottom: black, white and red handle. I could use a wider blade in a short configuration: let's say 4.5-5.5" overall.

EDIT: If you ever plan on selling the demos let me know. That third from the bottom...
    Last edited by Aniest; 04-07-2016 at 11:37 PM.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbill View Post
    These are the same as the ones that Corwin sells, of which I have one. It's decent, holds a reasonable edge but needs to be honed regularly. There's a ton of these on Amazon in the $20 range, I paid $42 for mine from Corwin. Had to restich the sheath and give it a good working over on a diamond stone and then an oil stone. I like it but an expensive knife it is not, for $40 I'm totally happy with it for general utility use. It's sharp, compact and easy on the eyes.
    I thought they looked the same... Where's the steel from? Pakistan?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Regular
    Interested too. ..more details please!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer grelmar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbill View Post
    I have one as well, a Bowie(ish) style. For the price, its a decent knife. But not what I would call "collector grade" by any means. More like "movie prop" grade - they do photograph and present fairly well. The "Damascus" grain is acid etched into the knife, and easily marred.

I would neither recommend for or against one to someone else. They simply are what they are, and at the price point they go for, it's a pithy trinket to throw in the drawer, or onto the curio shelf to start a conversation.

Also, they are available from a ton of different sources. in Canada and the US right now. They're mass produced somewhere (either India or Pakistan would be my guess), and then distributed through various channels, somewhat obscuring the point of origin.

Really, it comes down to how much you can retail them for.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Beater's Avatar
    4th from the top. ill take it
    payment within 24 hours , if not i retain the right to cancel the deal

BANNED
    Sure thing. It is $2500, made from the steel remnants from scrapped Mosins & Norincos and the damascus pattern is painted on. Still interested?

FF

CGN frequent flyer Big_red_truck's Avatar
    Wow ... It's knives like this that make me not even want to make my own. I can't even make a knife for under 20$. The heat treat alone costs 15-25$ plus shipping each ways add 30$.
    I'm canadian eh , there's no doot aboot

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTCUI View Post
    I'm glad I have my tinfoil hat on the morning while operating the microwave oven.
    Rob

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    Third from the bottom: black, white and red handle. I could use a wider blade in a short configuration: let's say 4.5-5.5" overall.

EDIT: If you ever plan on selling the demos let me know. That third from the bottom...
    I'm interested enough to subscribe to this thread: any knife as small and compact as I'd like I have to buy outside of Canada. (Yes, another sponsor has similar, but shortest is just over my desired size to fit into a mini hunting pack)
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast