Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if SKS disappear from market in Canada (westrifle.com)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Meh....I wouldn't really notice. i bought one last year, had it out once to zero the sights and it's been in the back of the safe ever since. I really don't get the attraction.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fiddler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lone ranger View Post
    OK then....I've been in the gun market for 40 years. This is what I have personally seen happen over time.
    Lets do a comparison - The military 303 Enfield & the military sks. Both were made buy different countries ....and there was a Huge amount of them built. You could buy the 303 for $18.00 at the surplus store. Now they range form $80 to $300 on the EE. My first sks cost me $79 bucks. They now sell from $100 to $249. The prices don't change much.
    There is still a TON of 303 rifles in this country that can be bought cheap, and that's 40 years latter. The SKS story will be NO different. The 303 surplus ammo dried up, but people reload....and they will do the same for the 762x39. Nothing drastic is going to happen folks. There hasn't been any new Enfields made since the war and there still readily available for cheap. Don't hoard them or baby them or collect them...shoot em and use them.

Not to dispute your comment, but the one difference is that 7.62x39 ammunition is still vastly popular and in current production for both military and consumer use. The LE would be more popular to shoot among non-reloaders if there was still bulk/cheap ammunition available.
    When all else fails, Bark like a dog !

Expired Business Member
    So bill S-223 changes your opinion? If that passes we will not have any semi-auto rifles

The only reason it's so popular is because it's the biggest semi-auto bang for your buck. People will always buy what's cheap and accessible.

I sold my sks's and bought a ruger mini 14. Nothing wrong with the sks's, but I like the mini more. But when I was new to firearms, my first sks an obvious choice.
    Silverdale, BRRC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by nonrandomhero View Post
    The only reason it's so popular is because it's the biggest semi-auto bang for your buck. People will always buy what's cheap and accessible.

I sold my sks's and bought a ruger mini 14. Nothing wrong with the sks's, but I like the mini more. But when I was new to firearms, my first sks an obvious choice.
    Yes, it is the best bang for your buck or was, if the prices go up on the rifle or ammo, then it may get close enough to other platforms that demand will and is ( in our area) dropping!
    I personally bought my first SKS and Mosin from Westrifle and did it mostly because they were cool and cheap, now I am enjoying looking for deals and although you can't call what I have a collection,, I look for the different/ a bit more rare ones! I do not expect to be alive long enough to make money on them but will likely give some to my sons and maybe later sell some! At the moment I can buy 10 SKS for the price of my savage fcp-HS .338 LM rig, both are fun in different ways, but it is a rifle that you can collect without breaking the bank! Pretty hard to lose on something you only pay $150- $210 for!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

Quote Originally Posted by lone ranger View Post
    OK then....I've been in the gun market for 40 years. This is what I have personally seen happen over time.
    Lets do a comparison - The military 303 Enfield & the military sks. Both were made buy different countries ....and there was a Huge amount of them built. You could buy the 303 for $18.00 at the surplus store. Now they range form $80 to $300 on the EE. My first sks cost me $79 bucks. They now sell from $100 to $249. The prices don't change much.
    There is still a TON of 303 rifles in this country that can be bought cheap, and that's 40 years latter. The SKS story will be NO different. The 303 surplus ammo dried up, but people reload....and they will do the same for the 762x39. Nothing drastic is going to happen folks. There hasn't been any new Enfields made since the war and there still readily available for cheap. Don't hoard them or baby them or collect them...shoot em and use them.
    Locally every smle I have seen has been sporterized, aside from the 1 jungle carbine. Most nice original ones I see online are 600-900.
    If the sks dissapeared, IDK, more bolt action surplus guns I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor723 View Post
    Meh....I wouldn't really notice. i bought one last year, had it out once to zero the sights and it's been in the back of the safe ever since. I really don't get the attraction.
    Cheap, semi-auto , cheap and readily available ammo, lots of parts and accessories available , easy to strip/clean/re-assemble and built like a tank. That's the attraction I think.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer philhut's Avatar
    Type 81s if possible would be cool

Seeing how you have a good following in eastern bloc arms you may want to stick with that theme. What other ww1 ww2 korean or vietneam weapons are avail and legal in Canada

I personally would be returning the VZ 58 family of rifles and pistol calibre carbines like the CX4.

Let's get one thing straight though. The SKS is a highly under valued firearm. We get them for a great price range but that does not mean they are not of high value. It is a "go to Hell gun" hands down. Ask how much would the SKS retail for if we didn't have them in surplus and they were to be manufactured today - I don't think they would be so cheap.
    I reserve the right to reserve my rights.