Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 929 Jerry Miculek 6.5" 9mm

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    I would have to check my targets again but I think the absolute best group at 25 yds off the bench was 3-4 inches and some considerably worse. I will eventually figure it out but its very frustrating. I will attach a red dot to see if I can blame the sights and my eyes. For comparison, my Ron Power PPC .38 groups 1.5-2 inches on the same day with wad cutters so I know I am capable of shooting good groups with the best tools. Amazing trigger and sights on the PPC gun plus custom fitted parts which I was expecting from a custom shop gun. Oh well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    No kidding with the premium on the PC guns the expectation is 2" groups at 25yd. Don't expect the 1" guarantee of the custom 1911s but 2" at 25 seems reasonable.

Wad cutters out of my 686 are fairly light load that shoots more like 22s. Been itching to get a 9mm to fill the niche but too many reports of questionable fit/quality/precision for a PC gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MustangFrank View Post
    I would have to check my targets again but I think the absolute best group at 25 yds off the bench was 3-4 inches and some considerably worse. I will eventually figure it out but its very frustrating. I will attach a red dot to see if I can blame the sights and my eyes. For comparison, my Ron Power PPC .38 groups 1.5-2 inches on the same day with wad cutters so I know I am capable of shooting good groups with the best tools. Amazing trigger and sights on the PPC gun plus custom fitted parts which I was expecting from a custom shop gun. Oh well.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by burnaby View Post
    Been itching to get a 9mm to fill the niche but too many reports of questionable fit/quality/precision for a PC gun.
    My 929 is my first (and likely only) revolver. For the price I far prefer my Sig P226 Legion SAO.
    Cathy

I still really like the idea of an 8 shot 9mm revolver so I will treat it like an expensive 1911 that needs total customizing. Most of the sponsored pro's do a lot of customizing to get the most out of that platform (929).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    Club just opened the steel target range with 6" target tree. 9mm will flick them to other side, 357 flick them easily, 44 Mag flicks them to the other side and back when hit properly. 44Mag is max caliber, would luv to hit steel with 50 S&W but not allowed.

Luv revolvers.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC Fan View Post
    My 929 is my first (and likely only) revolver. For the price I far prefer my Sig P226 Legion SAO.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

To bad they can't take a page out of charter arms book so you can eject without clips...

Quote Originally Posted by Rgrabowski View Post
    To bad they can't take a page out of charter arms book so you can eject without clips...
    I'm not sure what method they use, but I can't imagine doing 8 shot reloads without moon clips. I wish I had them for all my revolvers. Best thing ever. I thought Comp III were awesome, and now there are better speed loader options out there but moon clips are sooooooooo nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rgrabowski View Post
    Smith & Wesson used to make the 547 that would shoot 9mm without moon clips. Apparently the extractor was very complicated to build and maintain, so it was discontinued. For competition though, moon clips are definitely the way to go. Here's a video from Hickok45 reviewing the 547

https://youtu.be/IHd3D1GqNJA
    Too many toys, too little time ...

Quote Originally Posted by VanMan View Post
    Smith & Wesson used to make the 547 that would shoot 9mm without moon clips. Apparently the extractor was very complicated to build and maintain, so it was discontinued. For competition though, moon clips are definitely the way to go. Here's a video from Hickok45 reviewing the 547

https://youtu.be/IHd3D1GqNJA
    Yes, I'm familiar with that model. A friend of mine had one and even used it in matches but it is definitely not an improvement. Might as well go back to the break tops like the schofields(sp) . The Uberti models can be milled for moon clips. Wait a minute. I'm seeing a trend here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123