Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5X55 Swed Question

I guess we do. My farthest shot currently is just shy of 400 yards with my .308. Without range practise it is quite easy to make that shot on a none moving target which in general are the targets I see. I have a range finder that pushes 1200 yards so I would know the distance and the season I will be hunting in hilly area so I also have angle trajectory on that finder. As I said wind drift doesn't take the bullet vary much at all unless its a crazy wind. That is the only way that argument applies. As far as drop goes its between 4-5 feet. That is a reasonable shot in my books and I take it again. Apologies but we must agree to disagree.

Is it easier to reload for the Creedmoor than the than the 55 Swed. I have most of the gear i need now but haven't start reloading yet. I feel as though the Creedmoor does have the advantage. Its short action and gets the job done with less. But can you ship brass here or do you make your own? If so how time consuming is the process?

I'm a huge 6.5X55 swede fan, so much so that I own three. I've taken numerous whitetails and mule deer, a couple of bears and I believe 4 elk. The largest was actually an exceptionally large cow that I shot at 330 yards a couple falls back. She was hit in the shoulder with a 130g Accubond that passed clean through her. I would not hesitate to hunt moose with it either it's just that the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet.

I also own a 7mm 08' and have nothing bad to say about it either. My daughter shot her first whitetail with it as did my son in law last fall. A great low recoil calibre that is very capable for anything I ever plan to hunt.

If I wanted to load one with light bullets I'd go with the swede. More options out there really. I haven't had the best of luck with the 85g pills myself but in fairness I haven't played with it much either.

I guess in a pinch 7mm 08' brass would be easier to get as you could always form from .308 but I have more swede brass then I'll likely ever use so I guess I'm fortunate that way.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by JMV View Post
    I guess we do. My farthest shot currently is just shy of 400 yards with my .308. Without range practise it is quite easy to make that shot on a none moving target which in general are the targets I see. I have a range finder that pushes 1200 yards so I would know the distance and the season I will be hunting in hilly area so I also have angle trajectory on that finder. As I said wind drift doesn't take the bullet vary much at all unless its a crazy wind. That is the only way that argument applies. As far as drop goes its between 4-5 feet. That is a reasonable shot in my books and I take it again. Apologies but we must agree to disagree.
    Actually wind drift is way harder to deal with than drop at long ranges, especially if you DO use an accurate rangefinder and have actually shot at distance to prove your trajectory numbers. At 500 yards, a 10mph crosswind is good for almost 2 feet of drift. That's not "crazy wind". And wind almost always gusts, changes direction, and sometimes stops. You need to do some research about the real issues before you attempt to shoot at living animals at long range.

It's fine to disagree, but only after you actually understand the issue.

I do understand the issue I never need to deal with wind in my area, the drop is consistent. I was asking if the cartridge is good for 500 yards on a deer. That's the question that's the issue.

Well if you can take a cow at 330 I'd expect you could take a deer a 500.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I do understand the issue I never need to deal with wind in my area, the drop is consistent. I was asking if the cartridge is good for 500 yards on a deer. That's the question that's the issue.
    Well, my bad. I did not know you lived in an area that has no wind. Must be nice.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tacfoley's Avatar
    ...139 grain which is at the high end of the 6.5
    Sorry, 139/140gr is not at the 'high end' of the 6.5x55SW, but is the weight for which the cartridge was designed back in 1895.

tac

Hi guys, me and my brother are both interested in getting a low recoil rifle. We would like some advice on how easy it is to get low bullet weights in 6.5x55 and brass in Manitoba. I'm considering going 7mm-08 but the lowest bullet weights to be found is 139 grain which is at the high end of the 6.5 so it would be a step up. I know the 243 has great supply but for deer hunting after 200 yards its questionable. Thank for the help!!
    The 6.5x55 is a superb cartridge. I have loads for 95 gr Hornady Vmax, 120 gr Nosler BT, and 140 gr Barnes XLC that all have the same point of impact at 100 yd. The latter two have been used for caribou and moose with great results.
    "There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the frightened, thoughtless search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own ..." - The Twilight Zone

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CZ_Brno's Avatar
    Hi guys, me and my brother are both interested in getting a low recoil rifle. We would like some advice on how easy it is to get low bullet weights in 6.5x55 and brass in Manitoba. I'm considering going 7mm-08 but the lowest bullet weights to be found is 139 grain which is at the high end of the 6.5 so it would be a step up. I know the 243 has great supply but for deer hunting after 200 yards its questionable. Thank for the help!!
    Unless you live in the big city selection is poor and even then it's not always the best. Being in northern Manitoba I have to order everything in. There are a few good site sponsors here I usually order from.
    Brno Arms had and still has reputation for extremely talented designers, engineers, their DESIGN - WAY AHEAD OF OTHERS, WAY AHEAD OF TIME, UNCOMPROMIZING QUALITY, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OLD WORLD CRAFTSMANSHIP and long LASTING BEAUTY ~Brnomann

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12