Thread: Original Military Issue Mauser Bayonet question

CGN Ultra frequent flyer st1264's Avatar

Original Military Issue Mauser Bayonet question

I recently acquired an M48 Mauser and I was thinking about your Yugo M48 Bayonet/Scabbard combo, my question is:

How are the wood pieces held in place? With a screw that can be taken out, giving access to remove the wood pieces or are they riveted in place? If I buy one, I need them easily removable so I can refinish them to match my stock.

Thanks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    I believe it is normal for them to be a "Chicago screw" type of machine screw/bolt holding them together, but it requires a two prong driver to remove them: similar to a security screw bit but maybe not exactly any modern measurement. When I Googled for an image, not surprisingly, someone was showing how to make them to open Nintendo security screws because the holes are smaller than normal security drivers from Princess Auto...

johntwo may (or may not) answer, but likely those more knowledgeable than I can say... shortly.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Expired Business
    Aniest is correct ^^

I will point out that during the finishing process these grips are sanded down along with the bushing and screw to make them all flush

This will make it VERY difficult to remove the screws from the bushings, and will likely damage the screws/bushings in the process

will that bayonet fit a Germany Mauser K98k?

Quote Originally Posted by Donster 125 View Post
    will that bayonet fit a Germany Mauser K98k?
    Yes they will
    Truth is called hate by those who you hate the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by johntwo View Post
    Aniest is correct ^^

I will point out that during the finishing process these grips are sanded down along with the bushing and screw to make them all flush

This will make it VERY difficult to remove the screws from the bushings, and will likely damage the screws/bushings in the process
    That doesn't sound good... I saw a picture like this and thought they'd come off relatively easily and I could refinish the wood handles to match my stock. Maybe there were different versions made.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Your picture is indeed correct, but as you can see in that photo there are abrasions on the Chicago type screws: this is from sanding the final profile of the knife handle once it was on the tang, and thus allows those screws to be the identical profile of the handle regardless of the way the screw is turned. Otherwise, each screw would have to be made with the profile in mind and be rotated to match, something expensive knife makers may do but contractors did not for bayonets.

The sanding process will have made each of those tiny scratches like mini staking marks. You can even see in that picture where there is a gap and it was not sanded much to profile it, and other places where it looks one piece from the intense abrasion.

They may or may not come.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

So I'm assuming these wouldn't work for my intended purpose. If I didn't find one that matched my stock already, I'd have one that I couldn't refinish to match.

Got any bayo's the exact same colour as my M48's stock (I'm sure that would be too much work looking through bins of these things)? My Czech VZ24's bayo almost matches perfectly, but obviously it's not correct and my VZ feels naked without it's 17" appendage