Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Attention: Power outage!!

Quote Originally Posted by essorx View Post
    I'm more and more thinking that some vendors are not *business savvy*. Though, I wonder if WS cares, with such a tight supply and high demand, they knew it would sale like hot cakes in no times, so really don't have much incentive to put resource on infrastructure issues...
    Thanks! I take that as a real slap in the face as we have spent over $200,000.00 in the last year on improvements to our infrastructure and we are not finished yet! No "Business savvy" well come and sit where I sit, I think you would soon change your opinion. Try predicting International Exchange rates, market trends and supply and demand? You wonder if we "care"! As for supply and demand, products in demand are often very limited and products we can sell are available every where! Throw in all the problems with Government regulations and classification of firearms, up to a three year wait! Hell if I didn't care I wouldn't be here!

As for a stand by generator, the automatic switching gear would be $20,000, yes I had a quote a year ago, plus the cost of the generator and for what? One or two days out a year, not a high priority right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Thanks! I take that as a real slap in the face as we have spent over $200,000.00 in the last year on improvements to our infrastructure and we are not finished yet! No "Business savvy" well come and sit where I sit, I think you would soon change your opinion. Try predicting International Exchange rates, market trends and supply and demand? You wonder if we "care"! As for supply and demand, products in demand are often very limited and products we can sell are available every where! Throw in all the problems with Government regulations and classification of firearms, up to a three year wait! Hell if I didn't care I wouldn't be here!

As for a stand by generator, the automatic switching gear would be $20,000, yes I had a quote a year ago, plus the cost of the generator and for what? One or two days out a year, not a high priority right now.
    This is why you should move the website into a cloud hosted service and not served onsite! That $20,000 you would spend for a generator can have your site reliably hosted and always available for almost 10 years by AWS prices. One or two days a year can easily cost you $20,000 in sales if say Caramel went to buy something and your site was down those two days.

Quote Originally Posted by M16LR.50 View Post
    This is why you should move the website into a cloud hosted service and not served onsite! That $20,000 you would spend for a generator can have your site reliably hosted and always available for almost 10 years by AWS prices. One or two days a year can easily cost you $20,000 in sales if say Caramel went to buy something and your site was down those two days.
    When we looked into cloud based servers they could not provide the live inventory update or the requires security for handling customer credit information that we required.

What no wolverine bunker?
    “Hoplophobia is a mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons, as opposed to justified apprehension about those who may wield them.” - Jeff Cooper

When we looked into cloud based servers they could not provide the live inventory update or the requires security for handling customer credit information that we required.
    Ah, got it! However, your e-commerce developers should know how to take care of this. I will send you an email directly with ideas that you can look into or revisit at a later date, because by itself, your concern is not a limiting factor.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    I wish I could convince ATRS Rick to listen this intently.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Are you implying that the thousands of startups in the Silicon Valley relying on Amazon AWS for their service can't provide such a security ? That's awfully patronizing. There is *nothing* you do that isn't done securely somewhere else in the world using cloud based services.

You would have all the services in the cloud, and wouldn't need a transparently switching generator, anything allowing you to run a laptop and an LTE router (100W at most) would work. Heck, a 110v car inverter is all what you'd need... For all I know, you could run your whole business even if you were stuck in the middle of the Saharan desert...

edit: fwiw, Amazon AWS is PCI-DSS level 1 compliant since 2010, cf https://aws.amazon.com/compliance/pci-dss-level-1-faqs/
    Last edited by essorx; 04-20-2016 at 10:19 PM.

So now my curiosity is up, From a "big brother " stand point would a business based server be any more secure from government snooping then a cloud type?
    Very few of the so-called liberals are open-minded.... They shout you down and won't let you speak if you disagree with them. John Wayne

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    So now my curiosity is up, From a "big brother " stand point would a business based server be any more secure from government snooping then a cloud type?
    Depends what hacker/DieHard movie you've watched lately, as that will define the most recent definition of "big brother" and "snooping".

In my world a physical computer in our space is a tremendous liability in terms of power outages, power surges, obsolescence, flood, fire, staff stupidity, theft, locusts, and volcanic eruptions.

Do "they" snoop - almost certainly. Do "they" give two sh!ts that "John" bought a Ruger 77, or even a Barrett, or a Tavor, from Wolverine - nope. Do they care than Wolverine submitted their GST remittance 27 hours late in march - nope.

It would seem that Apple is fightling pretty hard to keep their cloud customers info safe, unless this whole "hacked in Isreal" story is crap too.....which it may be....

Cloud services offer redundancy and maximum up time.

If you're doing something THAT'S THAT BAD, for god's sake, don't tell anyone, write it down, or save it to the internet!!!!

Man, this tin foil gets sweaty on the scalp as the spring heat picks up......

-J.
    Last edited by Gunneegoogoo; 04-21-2016 at 01:11 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345