Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical sale question

CGN Regular
    A probem I could see with a draw system is how long to you give someone to get back to you and make the purchase? This could drag the whole thing out and if you give a certain amount of time to reply, someone will miss it and then it will be more haters hating.

I wasn't interested in this sale, but I think it was forewarned ane explained well. As others have said, you will always have someone unhappy when there is a limited supply.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer redshooter's Avatar
    Hate Mail???? Do you really need a customer that is so "out there" that they would have an issue with first come first serve? It was clear there was going to be a STORM of orders...you'll never make that kind of customer happy.

I think the one thing that pissed people off more than anything was the reassurance by Wolverine that the servers would be more than capable to handle the load.
    In the days leading up to the sale, the numerous threads got soo many hits- that that should have been an indication of the interest?

In the future I would note that the servers WILL be overload and expect long delays. Once people are aware, I believe they are more forgiving.
    Too bad for the people that will boycott your store though, their loss really.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Infantry View Post
    I agree with the 1st 2 posts...and I completely missed out on this sale.

No matter what you do, there will be losers whining and complaining.

Do a draw and you will be accused of fixing the winning tickets, pocketing the money etc etc.

A Chinese auction will make it look like you are gouging.
    I agree.. At the end I finally got one.
    But earlier I had given up and took 2 deep breaths .. Then moved on!
    Anyone who is POed about not getting one has other issues going on in their life.

First off, I think you guys did the sale in a fair way by limiting one rifle to customer and advertising for two weeks prior to the sale date. The only other way in my opinion you could apease the non-Internet savy would be to have your phone lines open for orders on the sale date. If anyone is wondering I am saying this as a non-bias 3rd party as I never ordered one of the 858s.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Perhaps you could just have the same sale angle, but have a seperate simple site to host that sale. Part of the problem with so many people ordering is the sluggish response of the main website with that much traffic. Each page has to load, and your site like any other has multiple levels that have to load on each page. Ads, graphics, banners, all present on the main page that have to load on each new step of the process.

This adds exponentially to then lag when you have 400 users reloading all of those fields.

The sale on a seperate, less flashy redirect specific to the sale may resolve a lot of those load times.

Otherwise you get frustrated people that click, get impatient, reclick getting bumped to the end of the loading queue, and further slow the page down.

The trick is to click once and wait. But those who don't know and get impatient just bog the process down further.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

I like the idea of the Chinese Auction.Im not a computer guy but with the amount of traffic you server was getting I don't know if any server would keep up

some people just need to learn how to wait. if you cant go buy one on the EE for 1600$
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."
    Adolf Hitler, 1935

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    "First come, first served", 'cause it's a well known fact, "if you snooze, you lose." Or you could just sell them to people in an alphabetical order.

Aaron Abercrombie

CGN Ultra frequent flyer IronCanadian's Avatar
    ^^^Fenceline seems to know his sh!t, not a bad suggestion at all. A simplified site for potentially high volume sales might be the ticket. You should be able to secure server space quite easily for building. Temporary site once the template is created.
    At some point in their life, everyone will gamble on a fart and lose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast