Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol with removable vital part?

Pistol with removable vital part?

Hi,
    I'm new to the sport. I'm interested in learning target shooting with pistols. I got my RPAL but haven't purchased anything yet. My wife is dead set against having a gun in the house; she is convinced it's an irresponsible decision that puts our children (as yet unborn) at risk. I disagree obviously, but let's not get into that here. But I'm looking for a suitable compromise that will allow me to have my fun at the range but will respect her wishes. One solution that came to my mind was perhaps I can own a pistol, but I can partially disassemble it and keep one vital piece of it in my office desk drawer, so it can only be assembled when I am going to practice.

I know some rifles have removable bolts, so I was wondering if there is an analog in the pistol world. Obviously I could leave the magazine or ammo away, but those are pretty easily replaceable, much easier than an integral part of the pistol. I am wondering if there are any pistols that have a small part that is easily removed and kept separate, like a firing pin or striker. If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.

Please focus on answering my question about hardware - I'm NOT looking for help convincing my wife about the value of gun ownership. That's for another thread, maybe another lifetime.
    Thanks!

CGN frequent flyer
    1. Well it will be in a safe, so if you choose then only you know the combination.
    2. You can also remove the slide from the frame and only lock up the registered part in the safe and the other part in the desk.
    3. I know with my Jericho 941 that you simply press the firing pin in and a plate slides out and the pin and pin spring drop out, but the pin retains the plate through spring pressure so all three little pieces would need to be stored in the desk.

If you buy an extra firing pin and grind it down to replace the good pin then you only need to store the good pin separately, if you're worried about losing small pieces.

I store my firearms will short firing pins when I'm on holidays or away for work, so if they are stolen then they are useless to the criminal unless they can figure out why it doesn't shoot.

If your unborn children can shoot double locked firearms I think you have bigger issues.

All kidding aside, have you explained to her how you are legally required to store your firearms?

Shawn

Hey droste,

Welcome to the addiction... I mean sport!

Most every pistol you can buy, minus revolvers and a few .22's, is easily dissasembled and either the slide or the barrel itself could be stored quite legally in any other location. Either would accomplish your goal of rendering the pistol useless and might keep your wife happy.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer colinjw's Avatar
    As you may know by now, the frame of a pistol is the part that is restricted and needs to be stored securely
    at your home.
    However as already noted above, you can take other parts ( slide etc ) and store them somewhere else
    and put them back together at the range.
    This may solve your situation if a trigger lock and a safe do not satisfy your requirements.

CGN frequent flyer 84fuegoturbo's Avatar
    hi and welcome, i think once she understands the safe storage she might reconsider.

If not then most pistols can have the slide removed and you can store the frame (handgun) at home and slide elsewhere to please her.
    ie 1911, glock,beretta,m&p,sig, cz and the list goes on

Thanks everyone! That makes sense. I'm thinking of getting a Springfield XDM. It looks super easy to remove the slide and keep it separate.
    This seems like a good compromise.

For Semi removing the Slide is good.. or just lock slide back and run a cable lock through the whole down the grip. It won't be able to close and fire, could even put another lock over the trigger guard..
    For Revolver take the cylinder out, or just get a lock that when you open the cylinder and put a lock around where the cylinder fits so it is not able to close. All fairly easy..

Bring your wife to the Range and she might see that firearms are really not that scarey.. She gave her okay for you to get your PAL/RPAL or did they not call her for verification from the CFO? If you know any other couples that shoot together, see if you all can do a Range Date. She may not feel so strongly against them if she is able to understand how they work... Maybe all she has ever heard is negative things about them. Good Luck.. Where are you from? Who knows maybe your nearby and we could go to the Range. My youngest shoots an I think it is a great idea to get kids to learn the safety around firearms.
    Working with Leather is a Great way to Relax.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by KuddlyGemini View Post
    Bring your wife to the Range and she might see that firearms are really not that scarey.. She gave her okay for you to get your PAL/RPAL or did they not call her for verification from the CFO? If you know any other couples that shoot together, see if you all can do a Range Date. She may not feel so strongly against them if she is able to understand how they work... Maybe all she has ever heard is negative things about them. Good Luck.. Where are you from? Who knows maybe your nearby and we could go to the Range. My youngest shoots an I think it is a great idea to get kids to learn the safety around firearms.
    Indoor ranges are great for that. If you don't own guns, or want to convince others it's fun/safe, they go from iffy about guns to crap eating grin as they try to draw smiley faces on targets with a red dot sighted .22

CGN frequent flyer
    That cable lock through mag well just may be a great idea and even better together with a trigger lock in a small safe. Removing a slide is an option but may cause loss of expensive parts and i would not go that route. I have seen it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast