Page 1 of 16 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: north sylvia

north sylvia

I have a VZ58 in 7.62 and I love the rifle. It's a great shooter and has replaced my tricked out SKS that I built for tac rifle competitions, but never got to use it in one.
    A few months ago I was shooting at my range and my gun jammed. When I cleaned it at home I noticed that a piece of the bolt broke off, the one that strips the ammo from the mag.

No problem. Sometimes this happens. That's why there is warranty. I then had the misfortune of dealing with north sylvia and asked them to send me a replacement bolt but was told that my warranty will be void if I replace the bolt myself, even if they send me one, how lovely. So I would have to send the gun in to them. Of course I am not going to pay shipping on a warrantied item, so I had to wrestle them for weeks to cover shipping, and that's when it got really bad.

I got a fake account number form George for their Purolator shipping, so I checked it out first. If I shipped it without checking it would have been confiscated and handed over to the police. And better yet, when I asked about it he (George) confirmed that this would be the case and that they in fact do not use Purolator for shipping. What the hell? Then I got another email form Domenic supposedly offering me a refund for my rifle but, of course, I had to ship it first............so they can keep both. Not only is this a terrible way to get rid of customers and warranty jobs, it's borderline illegal.

Long story short, north sylvia would rather screw over customers than cover shipping on a defective item. If you are dealing with them beware of this and consider walking away because you might just end up dealing with the police instead.

And I am by far not the first (or last) person they tried to screw over like this.

Thanks for reading.

* title edited by admin
    Last edited by CGN Admin; 04-27-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    Owning a firearm is not a privilege, it is your right. Protect it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    Not the first time they've made the headlines for behavior like this.

CGN Regular
    Wow.
    I'm happy to spreading the word on bad business practices.
    It's never bad seeing a company shut down. It open's the market up for someone who actually cares to try.

How are theses guys still in business? I have never had dealings with them myself but the sheer number of complaints about them on this forum is unbelievable. I am surprised a business with so much negative press continues to allow their name to go to #### without making any positive changes.

Administrator
    Thread can be reopened by the business when the next business days starts. Complaining on a Sunday morning after midnight when no one is in the office does not provide an opportunity for the business to monitor and response.

Guys,

Let me start by saying this. CGN is an excellent resource for the Canadian firearms community. We and many other dealers use it as a marketing tool on a regular basis to bring new and exciting products to Canadian shooters. That being said, it's also a great place for people to complain about well... everything.

North Sylva goes out of our way daily to help as many people as we possible can with warranty issues on the brands we distribute. 99.9% of these issue's you never hear about as they are resolved quickly. We deal with hundreds of warranty claims per month without so much as a thank you. Then there is the .1% that aren't happy with the service and use the internet (or CGN specifically) to vent their dismay. Which is fine, but..... when the truth starts to get bent, it's not fair to us, nor is it fair to the end consumer whom may be on the fence about a purchase.

As to the issue's of the OP, I've come across the email chain between my warranty department and him, and I'd like to clear the air on a few issues.

north sylvia scam
    I have a VZ58 in 7.62 and I love the rifle. It's a great shooter and has replaced my tricked out SKS that I built for tac rifle competitions, but never got to use it in one.
    A few months ago I was shooting at my range and my gun jammed. When I cleaned it at home I noticed that a piece of the bolt broke off, the one that strips the ammo from the mag.

No problem. Sometimes this happens. That's why there is warranty. I then had the misfortune of dealing with north sylvia and asked them to send me a replacement bolt but was told that my warranty will be void if I replace the bolt myself, even if they send me one, how lovely. So I would have to send the gun in to them. Of course I am not going to pay shipping on a warrantied item, so I had to wrestle them for weeks to cover shipping, and that's when it got really bad.

We would not send you a bolt assembly for the following reason's. The main reason is the chances are you would have the same issue. The Bolt assemblies on these rifles need to be head space matched to the rifle. The chances are without a proper match, you would have exactly the same issue you are currently experiencing. This is also very dangerous, which is why it needs to be done by a certified gunsmith. Also the bolt assembly breaking is likely a symptom of another issue. Mainly over gassing. A piston would likely have to be matched the rifle to ensure future bolts do not break in the same manner.

I got a fake account number form George for their Purolator shipping, so I checked it out first. If I shipped it without checking it would have been confiscated and handed over to the police. And better yet, when I asked about it he (George) confirmed that this would be the case and that they in fact do not use Purolator for shipping. What the hell? Then I got another email form Domenic supposedly offering me a refund for my rifle but, of course, I had to ship it first............so they can keep both. Not only is this a terrible way to get rid of customers and warranty jobs, it's borderline illegal.

This is the most untrue thing I have never read. Since you have no problem with making your issues public, I'll post a clip of your email chain here.

You wrote: Hey ******,
    Thank you for keeping the RMA request open. I've contacted Purolator and was told that I need a COS (chain of signatures) shipping label from you. Since I am not on the COS list and North Sylvia is I will need you to provide me with this label in order to be able to ship the firearm. Please email me the label and I will arrange for the package to be picked up.
    Thank you

Our warranty department then responded to you: ****

Do not use Purolator, they will seize your firearm, we do not provide any COS or shipping labels to them since we do not use their services either for firearms or ammo.

Please contact either Loomis Canada or Canada Post, make sure to mention what you are shipping and make sure there is no restrictions, also request tracking number service.

Regards

So frankly, you bent the truth to your convenience in order to get a favorable response and backing from CGN member's. We clearly told you that shipping with Purolator was not an ideal option.

Our warranty department then wrote to you:
    "If you would like, at your convenience you can call Loomis Canada at 1(855) 256-6647 for pick up and for this time only provide them with our account #*******, please send your firearm ground service with no added insurance and we will pay the shipping charges as well as the charges when we send the gun back to you."

You then wrote in return:
    "At this point I am not comfortable using your services for my firearm repair. You just illegally tried to get me into trouble with the police and that is a serious issue. I can only imagine what you'll do to my firearm when it falls into your hands as retaliation what I can only assume is me being a nasty customer. I will be making a report to the RCMP shortly and an inquiry and investigation into the matter will follow after. This is no way to conduct business. No matter how bad your customer is you DO NOT cross the legal border. Let this be a lesson to you."

At this point, I'm not sure what to say. Our warranty person was going out of their way to help you, and you post rubbish about trying to get you in trouble with the police?

The manager of North Sylva then got involved and sent this response to the OP.

"Hello ****,

My name is ********, I am the sales manager at North Sylva. The best solution I can offer you is to return your firearm at our expense and we will issue you a check for a full refund. If you do not think this is a fair solution then we can no longer help you. Please do not contact ****** again in the future.

Regards,

***********"

I'm not sure how we could have been anymore accommodating to the end user.

Long story short, north sylvia would rather screw over customers than cover shipping on a defective item. If you are dealing with them beware of this and consider walking away because you might just end up dealing with the police instead.

And I am by far not the first (or last) person they tried to screw over like this.

Thanks for reading.

I hope this sheds a bit of light on some of the issues we have to deal with on a daily basis. Please come to your own conclusions.

Thanks,
    Last edited by North_Sylva; 04-26-2016 at 04:28 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer andrew3081's Avatar
    It is always good to hear both sides of the story...and not just one side.

North Sylva gave you some good options
    What?

Excellent post NS. Bringing the truth to light.

I don't think Costco could offer you a better warranty on a product than what you're being offered on your VZ
    Are you allowed to eat doughnuts private Pyle?

CGN Regular
    I had no issues. I have sent rifles there for repair. They use Loomis, I dropped the rifles off at loomis used their account number with a COS shipping. I tracked it and they received it. I will say that the loomis guy asked me if it was a rifle as I was not aware of a COS option. I filled out a normal shipping label then after he asked if it was a rifle I had to fill out the correct one. They fixed an over gassing issue (broken bolt) on my rifle. George has been fine with me

CGN Regular
    I posted this once before.
    I took my VZ 58 into North Silva for warranty work.
    I was told it could be at least 3 to 4 weeks for the work to be done.
    I had it back in my hands, repaired and shipped at their expense IN 3 DAYS.

Pretty outstanding I'd have to say.

Page 1 of 16 12345678911 ... LastLast