Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a New License Holder

Tips for a New License Holder

I am a new PAL and RPAL license recipient and it should arrive shortly since getting confirmation it was being mailed from the feds last week. I have decided on a pistol that is not available locally and the shop said I should 'go online' to make my purchase. Okay, that's fine but this is all new to me so there are a few grey areas I'd like to get sorted. I have already joined my local range.

1. I know the reseller will need my RPAL to complete the purchase and ship the item via CP, will it come to my door or to a postal outlet?
    2. Once it arrives I need to contact my local CFO to provide the pistols serial number, right?
    3. Does my CFO issue me a new RPAL card once I have registered a pistol, I seem to be getting a couple of versions on this point?
    4. My understanding is, once all of that is done and I have my pistol, I can transport it to the range without notification?

I appreciate all the help, thanks.

It should be shipped to your door, if you're home when they attempt delivery then you can just sign for it. If you miss delivery and have to go to the post office to pick it up then I believe technically you need a temporary ATT (authorization to transport).

I believe the seller will need to have given to serial number to the CFO before he shipped it, in order for the firearm to have been properly transferred to you.

I don't think you get a new RPAL card, but you will need to get an ATT that will be good to transport the firearm from your house to the range.

Once all of that is done you can transport it directly to and from the range and your house.

If you want to verify any part of the process just give the CFP a call.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/cont/index-eng.htm

Thanks very much Recked. Excellent summary and I will follow through.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Well, this is just ducky; The newbies are doing self-serve advice. If I knew the answers to these questions, from experience, I would speak up.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Well, this is just ducky

I am certainly willing to get some 'experienced' input so please feel free to chime in on anything a newbie needs to get sorted on. Thanks.

Regarding #3 you will be issued a new RPAL card if this is your first restricted.

Source: I just bought my first restricted last week, and got a new RPAL card in the mail with the ATT conditions attached the day after I got the mailed transfer notice.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer weasel1's Avatar
    2. If it's from a dealer, you won't need to do a thing.

4. Hold on there a sec. Wait until you have the registration. Should arrive in a couple of weeks. Then you can go.
    "We're only immortal, for a limited time." -Rush

I really appreciate the replies, thanks everyone.

Yes, this is my first restricted so I will wait for the process to unfold. Now can anyone advise what to do about the anticipation of waiting?? LOL

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wester View Post
    Yes, this is my first restricted so I will wait for the process to unfold. Now can anyone advise what to do about the anticipation of waiting?? LOL
    Buy ammunition ?
    And just checking, you have your "safe" [aka.. metal box with a lock] ready for when your purchase arrives ?

And then dont forget.. work out which firearm you want next !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast