Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PAL RPAL Application wait times - Former FAC Holder both restrict/non-restricted

So what you are saying is the CFO/CFC simply approved a R.P.A.L. for you ,without you taking the FEDERAL R P A L course or even having to CHALLENGE it, simply because you provided THEM with an expired FAC ???????
    Remember the SALMON ARM SALUTE at least P.E.T. was not a cry-baby like his kid.

CGN Regular
    I did take the coarse's. I took these courses back in 1997 and passed for both written and practical. When I called the 1-800 number, I gave them my old FAC ID#. They looked it up on their old FAC system and they had me on file. They had all my info including that I was licensed for both restricted and non-restricted firearms. I was told that I did NOT need to take the courses all over again. They asked if I still had all my coarse reports and certificates from 1997. I said yes. They asked me to photocopy EVERYTHING and send it in with my application. I did one better. I paid $30 and had it FedEx'd overnight !!!!!!!!

Regarding the CFO, I received my CFO certificate back in 1997. This was included with the photocopies of all my coarse reports as well as the certificate from the school I attended. FYI, the instructor who taught the coarse and signed off was a member of the Regional Police. The Regional Police was even stamped on my FAC. Not sure if this makes a BIG difference on these things. Do you know?

19 days later they posted receiving my application and proceeding with the investigation. I called again and asked them if I can get my reference to call in as he's out of the country for the next 2 weeks. He was my reference as well as photo guarantor. They said yes, please have him call. My reference called the next morning (That was 10 days ago). He told me the interview went well.

I let it be for a week and then this past Saturday I checked online and they said the license has been approved and has been issued and that I should get it in the next 2 weeks in the mail. If I don't, please call 1-800 number.

There was no challenge. I took the courses. Just that the FAC card I had for both firearms classifications had expired in 2002.

My personal information has not changed since 1997, so every things still the same.

Be assured, when I get the card in the mail, I will come in here again and update that I received both PAL/RPAL, or if I only got the PAL. But I would expect that when they updated the website with the info that they were sending me the license that if the RPAL was NOT included, they would have mentioned that I would have to wait longer for the RPAL and that the license was for PAL ONLY.

But yeah, that's pretty much it. This is where I'm at right now.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by POPS View Post
    So what you are saying is the CFO/CFC simply approved a R.P.A.L. for you ,without you taking the FEDERAL R P A L course or even having to CHALLENGE it, simply because you provided THEM with an expired FAC ???????
    FINAL UPDATE:

So, I got home today and look into my mailbox and I found a brown envelope addressed from the RCMP. I wanted to open it up in my apartment with a beer to celebrate. I felt the envelope for something card shaped and plastic. I get upstairs and opened it up and YES......... it is my new PAL/RPAL. Both conditions on the back of the card under Possession and Acquisition state "Non-Restricted" and "Restricted" firearms.

Hot dog!!!!!

I'll post the timeline in getting my PAL/RPAL in the thread dedicated for this.

So.................to answer the question, does one need to redo the safety courses on a LONG expired FAC in order to be granted a PAL/RPAL? The answer is NO provided you have not committed a crime since then.

FYI, my FAC expired in 2002. So that is a total of 14 years since expiry to-date.

My situation gets interesting as I jumped the gun back in March and paid a $50 deposit down to a firearms school to do the courses all over again thinking I had to due to the excessive time lapse. The coarse starts in July and I do have the option to drop out and get a refund, but the same school offers a hunting license coarse, so I may as well just apply the $50 towards the cost of that coarse and take it.

I'll be visiting some gun clubs now. I've decided to go with a Colt brand semi-auto .45.

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger2010 View Post
    I did take the coarse's. I took these courses back in 1997 and passed for both written and practical. When I called the 1-800 number, I gave them my old FAC ID#. They looked it up on their old FAC system and they had me on file. They had all my info including that I was licensed for both restricted and non-restricted firearms. I was told that I did NOT need to take the courses all over again. They asked if I still had all my coarse reports and certificates from 1997. I said yes. They asked me to photocopy EVERYTHING and send it in with my application. I did one better. I paid $30 and had it FedEx'd overnight !!!!!!!!

Regarding the CFO, I received my CFO certificate back in 1997. This was included with the photocopies of all my coarse reports as well as the certificate from the school I attended. FYI, the instructor who taught the coarse and signed off was a member of the Regional Police. The Regional Police was even stamped on my FAC. Not sure if this makes a BIG difference on these things. Do you know?

19 days later they posted receiving my application and proceeding with the investigation. I called again and asked them if I can get my reference to call in as he's out of the country for the next 2 weeks. He was my reference as well as photo guarantor. They said yes, please have him call. My reference called the next morning (That was 10 days ago). He told me the interview went well.

I let it be for a week and then this past Saturday I checked online and they said the license has been approved and has been issued and that I should get it in the next 2 weeks in the mail. If I don't, please call 1-800 number.

There was no challenge. I took the courses. Just that the FAC card I had for both firearms classifications had expired in 2002.

My personal information has not changed since 1997, so every things still the same.

Be assured, when I get the card in the mail, I will come in here again and update that I received both PAL/RPAL, or if I only got the PAL. But I would expect that when they updated the website with the info that they were sending me the license that if the RPAL was NOT included, they would have mentioned that I would have to wait longer for the RPAL and that the license was for PAL ONLY.

But yeah, that's pretty much it. This is where I'm at right now.
    What???????? I am surprised to read this.

Have been waiting for my renewal to come in the mail, at about 60 days now. Wife just got a letter today dated a week ago stating I have applied and if she has any concerns to contact them before July 1st. They have all her phone numbers, she received no call and now should I assume that my renewal is on hold until July 1st?

Seems like they are being in efficient, how about they ask my wife to call and they can have it off the desk and done in 3 mins.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer philhut's Avatar
    Firearms safety course (unrestricted ) April 26th
    Safety course report recieved May 24th from rcmp (long)
    Mailed PAL application from ontario May 25th
    Recieved in NB on May 30th
    Processed on June 12th
    Credit card charged June 15th

Awaiting my licence at this time, hoping to get things soon. I shouldn't have much trouble have a clean record, I'm single and a registered ER nurse professionally.
    Last edited by philhut; 06-23-2016 at 10:12 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer philhut's Avatar
    UPDATE
    Firearms safety course (unrestricted ) April 26th
    Safety course report recieved May 24th from rcmp (long)
    Mailed PAL application from ontario May 25th
    Recieved in NB on May 30th
    Processed on June 12th
    Credit card charged June 15th
    Licence issued June 27
    Recieved July 4th
    Not bad turnaround really given 28 day hold is really all i had to wait for and the post.

My application was recieved on May 30th

Today 28 days later my online application states
    Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canadian Firearms Program Toll Free number.

**** secret tip have your Mom as a reference, only moms who think there kids are safe with guns would be their reference*****

Wohoo!

Wonder if they remember the day i called their office to report a police officer requesting they suspend his firearms licence. This after the idiot came into the emergenxy with his partner and felt it was perfectly fine to be laying on a backboard near the entrance of the Emergency room with his side arm left side towards the public aginst a wall totally belted down. This ifficer was totally alert and aware. His partner standing by with the sidearm trained down the main ER hallway. I lotterally lost my mind on these two idiots. They told be it was not loaded. I told they they had three seconds to remove it or i would first remove it and prove the pistol myself and reporting them to their seargent abd calling the firearms officer. Long story short they got the message as i wheeled the officer into the ambulanxe bay against a thick wall. Needless to say he was a meter maid for a while lol.

On the way to the ambulance bay i gave the guyva full vulgar example of how he'd like someone pulling his gun and chancing that it was loaded or not by testing it on the public such as himself. Hope he enjoys his firearms repeater course
    Last edited by philhut; 07-05-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Boys are getting real quick back east.
    Applied online for my renewal and 8 days later when I checked to see how it was going. Suprised to see that it was approved and issued already. By issued I am assuming they have sent it by mail. With the possiblity of a Postal strike I can only hope the Posties don't sit out for more than the summer, as I have 4 months before my existing licience expires.

Application Received on: 2016/06/18

Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canadian Firearms Program Toll Free number. (1-800 731-4000)

Noob first post here.

My PAL/RPAL took 29 days from when they received it.
    They called one reference and didn't interview me.
    My reference is someone I've known back in Ontario from a few years back.
    Now CP goes on strike so I'm hooped. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask if I can pay to have it sent by purolator or something.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123