Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stun Baton Legality westrifle.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakjack View Post
    Yeah pretty much. It's just that most DEALERS keep their dealer threads focused on their products and services, as opposed to personal questions and inquiries. It's no big deal, it's just a professionalism thing.

Like, imagine you were on a car forum, and the Ford dealer started a thread called "Does Firestone make any tires that fit an F-150?"... It's a valid question, but when it comes from a dealer, it seems kind of backwards. Typically the consumer would ask that question of the dealer. If the dealer didn't know, they'd discretely research the answer, then get back to the consumer.

I really don't mind, westrifle... I only mentioned it cuz I thought you might be able to polish up your professional image a tad. I'm sure most dealers on here also have personal logins that allows them to loosen their ties a bit.

But whatever. No biggie.

But as to your question, I've seen stun flashlights (not to be confused with stun fleshlights) that would be much easier to carry around for a "proper" purpose.
    Yup, I agree with you. Also, it really isn't a big deal IMO either. I do lose a bit of confidence though when a dealer (an expert in their field) who should be focused on building trust with me as a customer is instead focusing on getting basic product knowledge. Good for thought anyway. Opinions are like assh*les as they say, so take mine with a grain of salt.

*Food for thought^

Damn iPhone.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer grelmar's Avatar
    I dunno guys, I'm totally Ok with a dealer having a curious mind. Our laws are so opaque and self contradictory, so much of it is open to interpretation...

Sometimes posing an open ended question can lead to interesting insights and new product ideas. Knowing more than just "yes, X is legal", but also why and how it is legal, can open up entire new avenues for everyone.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grelmar View Post
    I dunno guys, I'm totally Ok with a dealer having a curious mind. Our laws are so opaque and self contradictory, so much of it is open to interpretation...

Sometimes posing an open ended question can lead to interesting insights and new product ideas. Knowing more than just "yes, X is legal", but also why and how it is legal, can open up entire new avenues for everyone.
    I fully agree... There's no such thing as a dumb question, and even if a question is perceived as "dumb", the discussion surrounding it can be very valuable. My only point was that the question doesn't need to come from the dealer's digital storefront. The question, as posed, would be equally effective coming from the user iheartriflesfromthewest who's not listed as a dealer.

But again. No biggie.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

Seems pretty useless for self defense to me...

Doesn't do anything but piss someone off judging by this video.

^^ agreed.. was expecting a little more oomph lol
    Card carrying CSSA and NFA member
    If you love your guns, join today!

I bought on from Hical and had in confiscated by the Abbotsford PD . (no I was not using it on anyone or anything other than flies) my response from the abby PD below.

Hi Tino,

I answered your question with respect to obtaining a copy of the report, you can apply for it through the FOI. With respect to the putting a stop to importing the device, that is a question you will have to ask CBSA and other government entities. As far as the other devices you mentioned, that would need to be investigated should one be seized from anyone and again an expert opinion would need to be sought.

Please keep in mind that anything can be purchased on the internet from anywhere. The buyer of any item(s) must ensure that they conform with our Canadian laws and regulations if they are being brought into this country.

Cst Troughton 397
    Abbotsford Police

Thanks for your fairly quick response,

but you still leave me with unanswered question. How do I get a copy of Cst Quaglia report ? Are you then going to put a stop to the importer of said devise ? If I go and purchase the stun/flashlight walking cane , is it also a prohibited devise? If I were to be in possession of a cattle prod , is that a prohibited device. It looks as though you are leaving me with no choice but to seek legal counsel on these matters & to proceed as needed.

Thanks, Tino

On May 3rd, 2016 Cst Quaglia of the APD, a court expert with respect to non firearm prohibited weapons inspected the said weapon seized from you by Cst Moore on April 4th 2016. The seized weapon in question was a stun baton flashlight.

Cst Quaglia provided a detailed written report; as a result of that report which cited excertpts of Legislation from the Criminal Code of Canada and open source information, his expert opinion based on his training and knowledge of Canadian Law with respect to non firearm prohibited weapons backed by his Court appointed "expert" designation, Cst Quaglia has determined the stun baton flashlight a prohibited weapon by definition of the Criminal Code of Canada.

As you are most likely aware, anyone found in possession of a prohibited weapon in Canada is subject to arrest for several different criminal offences based on why it is in ones possession and why it was intended to be used or was used.

Based upon the findings of Cst Quaglia, the stun baton flashlight will not be returned to you. The prohibited weapon will be retained by the APD for training and educational purposes to educate other police officers in the effort to continue to keep and maintain our community safety commitment.

As per APD policy, I am not able to provide you with a copy of Cst Quaglia's report. If you should require a copy of that report you will need to apply for it through the Freedom Of Information Act (FOI). The APD front counter staff will be more than happy to assist you in that matter if required.

Thank you for your understanding.

With respect;

Cst Chris Troughton 397
    Abbotsford Police

Hi Constable Troughton,

I'm not sure if you received my previous emails ; so I will repeat what was sent in them . I know that you are aware that Constable Moore confiscated my stun baton , citing that it was a prohibited weapon. I explained to him that in the 2016 Martins Annual Criminal Code(Canada law book) that on page 183, section 84 , FORMER Prohibited weapons order Part 3 , number 6 STATES :

- 6 Any device that is designed to be capable of injuring, immobilizing or incapacitating a person or an animal by discharging an electrical charge produced by means of the amplification or accumulation of the electrical current generated by a battery, where the device is designed or altered so that the electrical charge may be discharged when the device is of a length of less than 480 mm, and any similar device..

Even with this information , Constable Moore insisted that I was wrong & he would advise you & let me know his findings. I then received a phone call from Cst. Moore citing that you had confirmed that the stun baton was indeed a prohibited weapon. I have since checked with the R.C.M.P. & again with the current criminal Code & find both of you incorrect. Since then I have contacted Legal counsel & have been advised that neither you or Constable Moore have filed a 5.2 with the Provincial court of Abbotsford. I am hoping that you can admit your mistake & return my baton (in good working order) to avoid me having to proceed with further legal action.

Thank you , Tino
    move through life quietly , have your stuff ready to go at a moments notice.

So basically they said "we arent giving it back, nor are we destroying it.we are keeping it for ourselves so we can further train our officers in the confiscation of private property "

I guess they dont keep a copy of the laws they enforce handy for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by pipeliner View Post
    My good friend got charged with two counts of possessing prohibited weapons.
    The cop said even if they are legal for bear defence, he's laying charges and its up to him to prove intent in court.
    He was working up in Grand Prairie and got pulled over on his way home, the officer didn't like that he had them in the vehicle and he was not enroute to the outdoors..

Having said that, I own a cane. It's very cool, but now I'm nervous to leave the house with it.

What does it matter why he had it in his car? The device is legal. It was not being used illegally. I think that cop is just on a power trip and should lose his job. Prove intent? Does that mean that because I own firearms I should be arrested and have to prove in court that I'm not going to commit murder? What happened to innocent UNTIL proven guilty.
    Better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission

Sounds like there is more to that story, but exactly the point I made earlier about intent.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast