Thread: Taking CRFSC in Quebec but living in Ontario

CGN Regular

Taking CRFSC in Quebec but living in Ontario

Is this allowed? Would I have to do anything different in the application process? I know the Ontario CFO stamps all the test results and sends it back, but I don't know if the Quebec CFO does the same thing.

CGN frequent flyer
    I did mine about 20 years ago back when it was the combined course.

I was living in NFLD but did the course/test etc in Ontario - wasn't an issue back then - can't see that anything has changed, it is a "federal" thing after all.

Currently, many of the courses in Ontario offer the option of doing both the Firearms and the Hunting courses/tests at the same time. That might be the only potential hiccup if you planned on hunting in Ontario - may still have to do the hunters course unless the Quebec one (if there is one ??) is included and can be transferred or recognized in Ontario.

My friends have done their courses in Ontario while living in Quebec, I don't see why it would not work the other way around. I would ask your instructor what the process would be when they mail in your "Success certificate" (a card they sent me when I did my CFSC). Chances are you'll have to see your own CFO, and they will recognize that card as valid training.

What I am unsure about is if you need to do the Bill 9 competency test if doing it through Quebec. If you do, it's usually around $45, not including rental + ammo, and I'd bring my own eyes/ears.

You can do the course anywhere in Canada regardless of your province of residence, though you may be the first person I've heard of in Ontario going to Quebec for the training. I have lots of students from Quebec who attend my classes in the Ottawa area.
    EOSC.ca

same thing, I can say for a fact that the processing time in longer in Quebec. Both of my brothers applications(quebec) took several months longer than mine(ontario).
    I have noticed that the "all in one" courses are more numerous in the MTL area that just over the border.

CGN Regular
    Thanks for the replies guys, forgot about this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dHb View Post
    You can do the course anywhere in Canada regardless of your province of residence, though you may be the first person I've heard of in Ontario going to Quebec for the training. I have lots of students from Quebec who attend my classes in the Ottawa area.
    I'd do it in Ottawa but every instructor was booked up...Think I probably emailed/checked every single one. Plus it seems like Quebec is cheaper with the fqtir.