Thread: Fairly new member Discovery on corrosive ammo

Fairly new member Discovery on corrosive ammo

I am not computer savvy so have not been on the site often. I will learn as time goes on, how to navigate this site cuz I have picked up some interesting info on rifles and shooting here. Will be 61 this month and now that I'm retired from the railroad
    [ C P Rail ] have taken up with a passion my joy of target shooting and hunting. Had to take up a part time job [school bus driver] cuz I still spend more than I make. Much of this play money goes towards cases of ammo and some new to me rifles. Would like to share a little discovery I have made with you that may be helpful with corrosive ammo. Years ago I started using O-W-30 synthetic motor oil to lub my pump action rifles. It worked very well even in cold weather, and was easy to wash out with WD-40 on a deep cleaning. over the last 3 years I have purchased 4 military rifles [2 sks] [2 m305]. Bought corrosive ammo cuz it was cheaper and lubed the rifles with O-W-30 synthetic. These oils are specifically made to combat acidity and corrosive products in vehicle crankcases. To my surprise , when the dirty black soot from corrosive ammo mixed with the oil it seemed to be neutralized. It also made the rifles easy to clean, as WD-40 washes it out really easy. This does not mean I will leave the cleaning for a long time after shooting but if for some reason you are delayed for a few days unexpectedly, I'm positive no damage will come to your rifle. I don't have the money or inclination like some have to do a long term experiment right now but if that changes will keep you posted. All my semi autos function beautifully and this oil also protects the outside of barrels as it does not disappear as quickly as some of the other products I have used.
    Have fun and great shooting.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Welcome aboard! Thats a great tip Thanks.

BANNED
    Hello and welcome to the forums Sudbry

Welcome to the Community! Thanks for the tip!
    Blessings and Best Regards,

Carl Sarfi

BANNED
    Interesting and useful information .Welcome to CGN .

Akita Master
    Super Moderator
    Welcome to CGN.

----------------
    NAA.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went". - Will Rogers.