Thread: Gun Cleaning - Must Have Products?

Gun Cleaning - Must Have Products?

Hey all,

As a new shooter I am looking into the cleaning procedure after a range day. As of now I don't have any kit or products so I thought I would ask CGN over some salesman at a shop trying to upsell. For reference I just have a bolt rifle atm but will eventually get into semi's.

- What the essentials to general maintenance and preferred brands/products.
    - What parts need to be cleaned more often
    - how often to re-grease or lube (difference between the two?)

Searches have so many different answers and have confused me more than anything lol

Bore guide, one piece cleaning rod, wipeout for bore, ballistol for action and exterior. Parkerhale style jags are ideal, but pierce point works too. Correct sized patches, you shouldn't need a brush with wipe out.

I usually clean the bore after every shoot, usually 50-100 rounds. I grease the bolt lugs before each use, the bore stays dry other than wipe out residue. If its black oxide I usually give a wipe of CLP on the exterior to keep from rusting while in storage. I like to disassemble the bolt every 500 rounds, just clean and lube. But I brush the bolt head every other cleaning, or if Im shooting new brass after every shoot.

Oh and nitrile gloves are a hand saver! Same with blue scotts shop towels.
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

G96 is my only go to product for cleaning/lubing. Clothes, boresnake, cleaning rod, brush, cotton swabs. As for frequency it really depends on what I'm shooting. My SKS is obviously after every outing, my Ruger MKIII goes several hundred if not thousands of rounds before cleaning. You'll learn what you like, what you prefer and what you need to do as you go.