Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tick Problems

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Why buy one when the vet gives them out for free?? They also have the cork screw style tick tool but the tear drops work better in my opinion. Personally I don't use either, place your finger tip on the tick and rub it gently in a circular motion, within a minute (usually less than 30 seconds) the tick will release on it own and back out of the wound. I've removed countless ticks this way.

Edit: I have no idea why this works, but I was put onto this method 2 decades ago and have removed everyone since this way. no pulling required, no rick of leaving anything behind. YMMV

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Place it over the Tick with the narrow end so it's under it's belly. Slide it up so you basically hook the Tick around the neck, then slowly lift up the wide end prying the tick out.

Takes the tick out with it's head.

Pulling a tick out with your hands or regular tweezers usually results in popping the body off the head and leaving the head stuck under the skin.

See this happen way to often
    I have heard of that happening but I have never seen it happen or known anybody who has. I always figured it was a old wives tale with a 1 in a billion shot of happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie Hastings View Post
    You need Deet.. or try this new stuff out called PiActive.....
    That's with DEET. That chunk of land is just think with them. The 99% stuff used to work some what butr the 30% stuff isn't even worth buying it may cut the numbers down 20% but at that rate it is really not even worth using.

Those work great for the dogs, me on the other hand will continue to use a shot a Jameson chased with a shot of pickle juice. Or a shot of raw apple cider vinegar followed by a Ceaser.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Farmboy's Avatar
    Thankfully I've never had a tick, however I've pulled them off horses and dogs. Not fun
    Please note, my opinion could be biased based on past and present employment

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThorHavenFarm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer promac's Avatar
    Found a little bastard on my arm last summer - looked like a black fly bite scab. Had to look at it under a field microscope to identify it. Fortunately it tested negative for all the disease they carry. If you need to get one tested, I've heard that vets get the results much quicker than the health department. It took Vaughan branch five weeks just to confirm it was a black legged tick. FFS, I already knew that.
    Warning: I am not a lawyer; any ideas, views, opinions or advice may be incorrect, incomplete or contain errors and omissions. Anything could seem like at good idea at any given moment. Readers should consult with their legal professionals before taking any action based on the information contained herein.

Used to be that we "Worldproofed" our children. Now society wants to childproof the world.

Quote Originally Posted by tjsudbury View Post
    need to check to see if they are over the minimum size for keepers
    Great, that's all we need; a bunch of guys standing around arguing about who's got the biggest tick...
    --------------------------------------------
    To err is human, but to Arrrrrr Is Pirate

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

CGN Ultra frequent flyer promac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    Why buy one when the vet gives them out for free?? They also have the cork screw style tick tool but the tear drops work better in my opinion. Personally I don't use either, place your finger tip on the tick and rub it gently in a circular motion, within a minute (usually less than 30 seconds) the tick will release on it own and back out of the wound. I've removed countless ticks this way.

Edit: I have no idea why this works, but I was put onto this method 2 decades ago and have removed everyone since this way. no pulling required, no rick of leaving anything behind. YMMV
    The idea of the tool is to remove the tick without squeezing/forcing diseased tick saliva/sucked blood back into your bloodstream.
    Warning: I am not a lawyer; any ideas, views, opinions or advice may be incorrect, incomplete or contain errors and omissions. Anything could seem like at good idea at any given moment. Readers should consult with their legal professionals before taking any action based on the information contained herein.

Used to be that we "Worldproofed" our children. Now society wants to childproof the world.

Have seen this posted a few times. I hate ticks, and this thread has made me all crawly feeling.

http://theshrug.com/you-have-to-lear...ou-go-camping/

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jericho's Avatar

Hopefully the Libs next election.

CGN frequent flyer timandkimandshea's Avatar
    I know there lots north of Kaladar, but here near Peterborough (Ont) never seen one.
    Anyone else seen one south oh hwy 7 around here?
    T
    Punish only he who has committed the crime

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast