Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Arrivals from Ex Yugoslavian Army Stocks

Quote Originally Posted by LSB View Post
    Any idea of manufacturing date
    Nope, I asked them that too, and they couldn't tell me. I have no idea where Zastava puts their date marks, or even if they do. Perhaps there IS date info on them, and TEC simply is not familiar with where it is on that pistol. Or maybe it's only discernible from the serial # ?, who knows.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Monty457 View Post
    I talked to a fellow at TEC on the phone and was told the Yugo M57's are NOT NOS, and NOT refurb either. They apparently are simply used military surplus in grease, I am guessing "lightly used" (hopefully). Supposedly heavier feeling than the civvie/commercial Zastava versions. I always like to know the condition of the bore on these things, as they've usually had corrosive ammo shot through them, but with the grease, they say they cannot verify the bore condition, so IMHO this seems to be a bit of a roll of the dice. One good thing, FWIW, I was also told these mil-spec versions were made prior to the import marking rules, so they have NO export markings on them.
    Good news on the markings, not new but they say excellent condition so I would take a chance on the bore being good!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Claven2's Avatar
    Beautiful walnut stocked m48. I sure hope mine is walnut stocked as well.
    Keeping it real on the range since before there was a CGN.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Plinker View Post
    Well, here it is, in all it's gooey glory! I snapped a few pics with my phone, not the best but it'll give you all an idea of what they look like. First off, a big hat's off to TradeEx! The boxes were taped up real nicely, it arrived very quickly considering the long weekend, oh yeah....the rifle is pretty nice too!

So this is just the unpacking:

Double boxed!

And drum-roll please!

I'll start off by saying I'm no expert on anything, but this is BY FAR the greasiest mil-surp I've ever bought! It's not greasy either, I should stop saying that, it's like glue. Super glue, that's semi-malleable. That paper that's stuck to the end of the stock I suspect is now part of the rifle! Seriously though, I'm sure if I cleaned it up it'd be a brand new gun! Numbers matching, the bluing is superb, the grain on the stock is beautiful, honestly the couple pictures don't do the stock any justice at all. The only thing I could see that was a little marked was the bottom of the mag. I forgot to take a picture of the sling and ammo pouch, but they're nothing fancy, definitely used. All in all, I'm very happy I jumped on these!

Now I'm faced with a serious problem. I bought this with the intention of having a really nice shooter, but it's almost too nice! I shoot my guns, always have, but this may end up being my first "collectable". Hmmmmm.......
    Awesome, looks great, no markings either, looks new, are they all M48A or are some M48. Thanks for the pics and info, now you need to shower in varsol for an hour to get the goo off!!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

Any chance of an ammo / M57 TT combo like with the Russian TTs?

Thanks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer beltfed's Avatar
    Tagged for interest. This will be my first Mauser...
    Life Member CCFR and CSSA
    Posts made by the pseudonym "Beltfed" may not accurately reflect the beliefs and opinions of the Registered User.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Claven2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    Awesome, looks great, no markings either, looks new, are they all M48A or are some M48. Thanks for the pics and info, now you need to shower in varsol for an hour to get the goo off!!
    Tha pictured rifle is either a transition gun as m48 production transitioned to m48a, or its a refurb. The receiver is marked m48A and the front band looks stamped and welded, but the bottom metal is clearly m48 milled.

Either way, I'd be happy to own that rifle.
    Keeping it real on the range since before there was a CGN.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Plinker View Post
    Well, here it is, in all it's gooey glory! I snapped a few pics with my phone, not the best but it'll give you all an idea of what they look like. First off, a big hat's off to TradeEx! The boxes were taped up real nicely, it arrived very quickly considering the long weekend, oh yeah....the rifle is pretty nice too!

So this is just the unpacking:

Double boxed!

And drum-roll please!

I'll start off by saying I'm no expert on anything, but this is BY FAR the greasiest mil-surp I've ever bought! It's not greasy either, I should stop saying that, it's like glue. Super glue, that's semi-malleable. That paper that's stuck to the end of the stock I suspect is now part of the rifle! Seriously though, I'm sure if I cleaned it up it'd be a brand new gun! Numbers matching, the bluing is superb, the grain on the stock is beautiful, honestly the couple pictures don't do the stock any justice at all. The only thing I could see that was a little marked was the bottom of the mag. I forgot to take a picture of the sling and ammo pouch, but they're nothing fancy, definitely used. All in all, I'm very happy I jumped on these!

Now I'm faced with a serious problem. I bought this with the intention of having a really nice shooter, but it's almost too nice! I shoot my guns, always have, but this may end up being my first "collectable". Hmmmmm.......
    Can you clarify that is your rifle M48A or M48, some one said it is M48A on the receiver, but I can't see there is A on the receiver.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Do we have a choice? Or is it a mix of M48's and M48A's?? And luck of the draw??

I think the one he has is M48 B. model B was marked as A as well the only difference is the trigger guard.

M48 = Milled trigger guard/magwell, magazine floor plate, follower, forward band & H-band. All parts milled.

M48A = Stamped magazine floor plate, this is the only alteration to the first model.

M48B = Stamped trigger guard* & magwell are a stamped and welded assembly, magazine floor plate, follower, forward band, H-band. Bands are stamped, formed and welded. Branko's book also includes the butt plate in the partial list provided as part of the model 'b'. but this is somewhat confusing since by it's nature, the cupped butt plate is traditionally a stamped part.
    * This is the most easily recognized and defining part since barrel bands are so commonly swapped around on
    these rifles.

Last edited by Markzdb; 05-24-2016 at 08:46 PM.