Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Arrivals from Ex Yugoslavian Army Stocks

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Claven2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markzdb View Post
    I think the one he has is M48 B. model B was marked as A as well the only difference is the trigger guard.

M48 = Milled trigger guard/magwell, magazine floor plate, follower, forward band & H-band. All parts milled.

M48A = Stamped magazine floor plate, this is the only alteration to the first model.

M48B = Stamped trigger guard* & magwell are a stamped and welded assembly, magazine floor plate, follower, forward band, H-band. Bands are stamped, formed and welded. Branko's book also includes the butt plate in the partial list provided as part of the model 'b'. but this is somewhat confusing since by it's nature, the cupped butt plate is traditionally a stamped part.
    * This is the most easily recognized and defining part since barrel bands are so commonly swapped around on
    these rifles.

Now that you mention it, if I peer past he goo, I can make out now that it's a stamped set of bottom metal, so it's likely a B model. Serves me right for responding on a damned iPhone.
    Last edited by Claven2; 05-24-2016 at 09:01 PM.
    Keeping it real on the range since before there was a CGN.

Quote Originally Posted by GUB View Post
    Do we have a choice? Or is it a mix of M48's and M48A's?? And luck of the draw??

From Tradex itself, looks like Luck of the Draw, but I just noticed that P&S is a listing dealer that now has these in stock and they are offering a choice of M48 or M48A. I don't see a M48B on their site, so likely they are lumping A and B models together through looking for stamped floor plates past all the storage goo.

If I'd known P&S would stock these, I'd have bought there instead of ordering from Tradex like I did, because Jean will usually take requests on things like type of stock wood, model, etc.

Too late now though...

For what it's worth, I've owned probably a half dozen M48 series rifles over the years (and stupidly sold them all over time). This time I won't be selling as this is perhaps the last batch of matching unissued Yugo rifles we will ever see. Most more recent imports have been well used and import marked examples for the same prices Tradex is charging for unissued matching guns. But I digress...

Of all the examples I've had, the M48 B's had noticably smoother actions and shot better. My unscientific assessment is that production quality control and parts standardization likely improved at the factory as production went on and the workforce became more skilled. Some of the milled M48's I've had cycled like there was fine gravel in the action and while they shot OK, they were nothing to write home about. Some of the M48A and M48B rifles I've had were as tight and smooth as an early German gun and shot really tight groups. We're talking all unissued rifles here from back in the days of Master's initial imports of Yugo rifles.
    Last edited by Claven2; 05-24-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    Now that you mention it, if I peer past he goo, I can make out now that it's a stamped set of bottom metal, so it's likely a B model. Serves me right for responding on a damned iPhone.
    Right both model A and model B were marked in A...

If you can pick, which one would you like to have 48,48A, or 48B?
    From Tradex itself, looks like Luck of the Draw, but I just noticed that P&S is a listing dealer that now has these in stock and they are offering a choice of M48 or M48A. I don't see a M48B on their site, so likely they are lumping A and B models together through looking for stamped floor plates past all the storage goo.

If I'd known P&S would stock these, I'd have bought there instead of ordering from Tradex like I did, because Jean will usually take requests on things like type of stock wood, model, etc.

Too late now though...

For what it's worth, I've owned probably a half dozen M48 series rifles over the years (and stupidly sold them all over time). This time I won't be selling as this is perhaps the last batch of matching unissued Yugo rifles we will ever see. Most more recent imports have been well used and import marked examples for the same prices Tradex is charging for unissued matching guns. But I digress...

Of all the examples I've had, the M48 B's had noticably smoother actions and shot better. My unscientific assessment is that production quality control and parts standardization likely improved at the factory as production went on and the workforce became more skilled. Some of the milled M48's I've had cycled like there was fine gravel in the action and while they shot OK, they were nothing to write home about. Some of the M48A and M48B rifles I've had were as tight and smooth as an early German gun and shot really tight groups. We're talking all unissued rifles here from back in the days of Master's initial imports of Yugo rifles.

If you can pick, which one would you like to have 48,48A, or 48B?
    Given a choice, I'd take a B with a walnut stock. The b models are rarer in non-BO versions with yugo crests, they are usually smooth actions and they are lighter by a few ounces over the other models. YMMV.

They also have a better sight hood design.

Given a choice, I'd take a B with a walnut stock. The b models are rarer in non-BO versions with yugo crests, they are usually smooth actions and they are lighter by a few ounces over the other models. YMMV.

They also have a better sight hood design.
    Good to know, I have a refurbished m48 receiver with m48b stamped parts, and I can tell it is very light weight.

CGN frequent flyer Prairie Plinker's Avatar
    Tha pictured rifle is either a transition gun as m48 production transitioned to m48a, or its a refurb. The receiver is marked m48A and the front band looks stamped and welded, but the bottom metal is clearly m48 milled.

Either way, I'd be happy to own that rifle.
    Yep, stamped bottom metal. I didn't look close at the trigger guard or the front band, but either way I am happy to own this rifle.

Can you clarify that is your rifle M48A or M48, some one said it is M48A on the receiver, but I can't see there is A on the receiver.
    It is stamped M48A on the receiver, the phone picture doesn't show the A at all, but it's there, stamped just as deep as the other lettering. Filled with cosmo.

Good to know, I have a refurbished m48 receiver with m48b stamped parts, and I can tell it is very light weight.
    I was very surprised by the weight actually! When I picked it up from the post office I noticed that, and when you consider there was a pound of cardboard and a pound of cosmo in there, quite light indeed!

I've been cleaning up the reloading press and cranked out a few .357 to try out, and realized what the texture and stickiness of that cosmoline on these rifles is like. If you've ever had to set up one of those fly sticks, or fly tape....that stuff!

I also quickly came to the conclusion that this rifle is going to get cleaned up and shot. It's just too pretty to stay packed away in a box, covered in cosmo, never to be shouldered or fired....nope, not this one!

CGN Regular
    Order in

Mine is supposed to arrive on Monday according to tracking. Let's see some pictures of everybody's rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronjon73 View Post
    Mine is supposed to arrive on Monday according to tracking. Let's see some pictures of everybody's rifles.
    I will post some pics tomorrow.