Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about cartridges and recoil

CGN Regular
    Shot lots of rifles growing up. Recoil was definitely a factor in the funness. Like the day my father finally let my buy magnums for my 20 gauge. Think I may still have 24 in a box somewhere

Then again, many years later my first experience with a pistol was a .44 mag Desert Eagle. I was told, and can attest it's true, that after a couple of magazines of .44, a .45 was very much manageable.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rral22 View Post
    I am unaware of an "ideal" progression that will be agreed upon as necessary.

Try this for an idea about how cartridges relate to each other in terms of recoil levels.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
    Here is the companion article to the above link.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/what_to_expect.htm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I claim the base ball bat method, before a competition or for training in general I shoot my 45-70 as a warm up some 3" slugs and then some 308 with movement.

After that 2 3/4" target and .223 is slick as butter.

If I were to shoot a 22 as warm up then the big boys how does that help anything?

The "only" reason to shoot .22 is cost and even that I'll argue the point of 50 rds of perfect practice is more valuable than 500 rds of whatever a .22 will accomplish (nothing but bad habits in my opinion).

GunNutz
    I have used this method with a variety of shooters , novice to experienced to determine if they flinch. I suspect others have used it over the years.
    The results are always interesting...

Have a shooting partner load your firearm for each shot and hand it to you . Take aim and fire as you normally would do.
    Occasionally , unknown to the shooter the firearm will not be loaded and set to fire on an empty chamber. This will give immediate feedback to the shooter if he has a flinch.
    Trigger time , quality hearing protection and repeating the above drill periodically has cured a few shooters flinch.

9mm rifle was a little more than a 22LR to me.

2 3/4 OO buck in my JW 2000 shorty kicked more than my 45/70 1895SBL which I was surprised how light it's recoil was.

30-06 Remington 7600 felt like 45/70.

I haven't shot my 416 Ruger yet, kinda excited to see if it'll smack me a bit.

I'm 6ft. Stocky in build. 250lbs.

I haven't met a gun that really punishes me.yet. Love the power of a big gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12