Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guilted

CGN Regular

Guilted

Had a surreal conversation last night with a family member while visiting last night. Just awful.

Since 1997 when I acquired my FAC which was then renewed to a PAL/RPAL, I had never made an attempt in all those years to buy a firearm, of any kind. Aside from buying 2 rounds of ammo during all that time.

About 3 months ago, I started getting back into this by researching clubs, what kind of firearm I would like to attain etc. I even started going to a club and start in on their handgun safety course in order to be a member. Part of the probationary period is to go through 4 sessions as a guest the club and learn the in's and out's of the clubs policies, range etiquette, gun safety, etc etc.

Then last night the Orlando situation happened. I get confronted by this family member barraging me with questions like......"What's with you and the gun thing all of a sudden?????" and "What do you need with a thing like that????" "You're not actually thinking of buying one are you???" and the worst one of them all "You're not going to kill us are you????"

It was the worst.

Am I alone on this???? Have other's here been given the 4th degree on this stuff? It's one thing to get this from friends. I just blow them off, but from family. How do other's here cope/deal with this?

FYI, I'm a middle aged male and I live on my own.

CGN frequent flyer
    I would have handed them the phone and told them to call 911 right there if they seriously thought I was going to kill them.

Then, after they didn't call, I'd kick them out of my house.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteoutjeeper View Post
    I would have handed them the phone and told them to call 911 right there if they seriously thought I was going to kill them.

Then, after they didn't call, I'd kick them out of my house.
    C'est La Vie, don't bother to come back.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Wow...I can't even fathom...I wouldn't waste too much effort on them though...disengage and either leave or ask them to go...depending on where you were.

That said, I've had the exact opposite experience...2 family members at a BBQ yesterday whom I had written off as complete anti's, actually got talking about how they wish they had a gun and could carry it with them given all that's happened since the Paris attacks. I've been using the opportunity to educate and enlighten...
    Last edited by Innavedaw; 06-13-2016 at 06:43 PM.

OP, I would calmly explain that when I am holding a gun, it doesn't control my will and make me want to kill anyone. Also, I would ask them if they actually think that of me.

Then, depending on their answer, I would most likely tell them to leave. I don't care who they are, they make a decision like that based on events such as the shooting in Orlando then they are not part of my "circle".
    Like they say, you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family. Well, you can choose to continue or not continue to spend time with them.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    My wife said to me after the shooting that "all guns should be banned".
    Some of us have it better than others.
    #Originally Posted by#rustyn*t1#

Are you talking about checkers? Snakes and ladders? Trudeau is not smart enough to play chess.

They are upset and so looking to pick a fight, and to find a group of people to blame. Berating this person and calling them a jerk does nothing to support our cause and, makes us look like huge #######s and a bunch of loud mouths. Anyways at this point you probably will not get to have a rational conversation about gun ownership, just let it simmer and discuss later.
    - Insert Witty One Liner Here -

BANNED
    That feeling they get (moral outrage) is a better high than heroin. Top that off with a little progressive indoctrination, and a touch of stupidity, and you've got a true "believer" on your hands.

They are (for the most part) good, well-meaning people, that have been given a taste of this drug (via MSM and social media), and are now hopelessly addicted.

Be understanding but firm. Like when your kid is over-tired and throwing a tantrum, or when your drunk buddy is trying to fight the whole bar; everlasting patience and stern persistence are the best medicine (imo).

BANNED
    Just reply that we all have different interests and hobbies ; and then change the subject.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    If someone in my life seriously posed the question "Are you going to kill me/us?" I would do two things:

First, question my life choices to see if such a heinous comment is deserved.

Second, if answering the first question to the negative, then I would cut that person out of my life. I have no time or energy for people that don't trust me to do something as simple as NOT KILL THEM. What a disgusting question. I really can't think of a worse insult. Ugh.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast