Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Guilted

i would argue the popularity of shows like big brother, survivor, bachelor show more of an underlying love of anti social behavior than simple firearms ownership does

CGN Ultra frequent flyer droid1963's Avatar
    Somewhere between raising Hell and Amazing Grace
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger2010 View Post
    Had a surreal conversation last night with a family member while visiting last night. Just awful.

Since 1997 when I acquired my FAC which was then renewed to a PAL/RPAL, I had never made an attempt in all those years to buy a firearm, of any kind. Aside from buying 2 rounds of ammo during all that time.

About 3 months ago, I started getting back into this by researching clubs, what kind of firearm I would like to attain etc. I even started going to a club and start in on their handgun safety course in order to be a member. Part of the probationary period is to go through 4 sessions as a guest the club and learn the in's and out's of the clubs policies, range etiquette, gun safety, etc etc.

Then last night the Orlando situation happened. I get confronted by this family member barraging me with questions like......"What's with you and the gun thing all of a sudden?????" and "What do you need with a thing like that????" "You're not actually thinking of buying one are you???" and the worst one of them all "You're not going to kill us are you????"

It was the worst.

Am I alone on this???? Have other's here been given the 4th degree on this stuff? It's one thing to get this from friends. I just blow them off, but from family. How do other's here cope/deal with this?

FYI, I'm a middle aged male and I live on my own.
    Did they ask if you were gay?
    "Ignorance can only propel anti-gun legislation so far until it smacks into the hard wall of the truth!"
    - Mark A. Keefe IV
    "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
    - Ed Howdershelt
    "Mass murderers apparently can’t read, since they are constantly shooting up ‘gun-free zones.’ "
    - Ann Coulter
    "She's dead. I would rather she was alive and the carjacker was dead. .... I'm weird"
    - Ted Nugent

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by droid1963 View Post
    Did they ask if you were gay?
    LMAO

If you are being scarcastic / Funny

If you are being serious / Really funny
    Hearts and Minds; Two best places to shoot
    Fighting in a basement provides challenges, Number 1 your fighting in a basement!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trimmer 905's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger2010 View Post
    Had a surreal conversation last night with a family member while visiting last night. Just awful.

Since 1997 when I acquired my FAC which was then renewed to a PAL/RPAL, I had never made an attempt in all those years to buy a firearm, of any kind. Aside from buying 2 rounds of ammo during all that time.

About 3 months ago, I started getting back into this by researching clubs, what kind of firearm I would like to attain etc. I even started going to a club and start in on their handgun safety course in order to be a member. Part of the probationary period is to go through 4 sessions as a guest the club and learn the in's and out's of the clubs policies, range etiquette, gun safety, etc etc.

Then last night the Orlando situation happened. I get confronted by this family member barraging me with questions like......"What's with you and the gun thing all of a sudden?????" and "What do you need with a thing like that????" "You're not actually thinking of buying one are you???" and the worst one of them all "You're not going to kill us are you????"

It was the worst.

Am I alone on this???? Have other's here been given the 4th degree on this stuff? It's one thing to get this from friends. I just blow them off, but from family. How do other's here cope/deal with this?

FYI, I'm a middle aged male and I live on my own.
    "Are you going to kill us?" This last comment is not only insulting,but,also very telling. Your family member is commenting out of irrational fear and ignorance. Was the member's (you didn't mention whether male or female) attitude at the time one of genuine,hand-wringing panic or the accusatory,condescending "bully" type of borderline abuse? Knowing that will dictate the best way to handle the "problem" from calmly and coolly assuaging their fears with intelligent conversation or telling them,quite matter-of-factly,that you find their comment terribly insulting and that they're full of crap and until they educate themselves,smarten up and apologize,they can get lost and stay that way. People will treat you the way you allow them to. With strangers that don't know you,sometimes it's easy to understand stupidity,but,with family,they should know better. With them,the best defense is a good offense. Personally,FWIW,when dealing with family,I won't tolerate berrating BS from anyone.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer droid1963's Avatar
    Somewhere between raising Hell and Amazing Grace
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxer2373 View Post
    LMAO

If you are being scarcastic / Funny

If you are being serious / Really funny
    I was pointing out the ridiculousness of them assuming something about him because of his gun ownership.

He should re-think his relationship with these maroons
    "Ignorance can only propel anti-gun legislation so far until it smacks into the hard wall of the truth!"
    - Mark A. Keefe IV
    "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
    - Ed Howdershelt
    "Mass murderers apparently can’t read, since they are constantly shooting up ‘gun-free zones.’ "
    - Ann Coulter
    "She's dead. I would rather she was alive and the carjacker was dead. .... I'm weird"
    - Ted Nugent

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yomomma's Avatar
    Both my parents had gone through WWII. My dad was pow by the time he was 18. My mom was a refugee at age 11 fleeing from partisans and Russians sometimes coming under fire from both.

There was no understanding from either one why a person would want a gun. It never stopped me. As soon as I was legally allowed to buy I did.

All my family, except that "one" (and every family has that one), accepts me for who I am.

Screw "that one"!
    https://youtube.com/c/YomommasWildlands

I once had a friend who asked me after I had shown him some of the collection, "So, who are you going to kill first"?
    I said " I will start with the mouthy ones".
    He never asked another question about them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345