Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Gonged out... be ringing this bad boy tomorrow

Super GunNutz The Cold Lake Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitzy View Post
    What if I moved the plate to hang 6" behind the stand..... would that keep it from getting cut up as quickly?
    That would defeat the purpose of the shrouding around the gong or metal plate.
    The CFO is the one who mandated shrouding to prevent splatter from exiting the shooting bay, when using solids.
    Apparently, it doesn't happen on steel, (using shotguns and lead shot).
    Using that logic, I recall Bearchild Potts nearly had the inspector convinced that CAS shooters, who use lead bullets only, didn't need to shroud their targets, but that attempt failed.
    Last edited by The Cold Lake Kid; 06-19-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    The Cold Lake Kid: SASS # 51474,
    GOFWG #141, Charter Member and Trail Boss East, Square Circle Wranglers ( www.squarecirclewranglers.ca )
    GOLD member Leaders Circle. Provincial Corner Stone Member
    Proudly Alberta Born and Raised.
    Hoping Trail Boss soon becomes available!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Please posts pics after a shooting session. I anticipate the a bit of a gong show regarding the condition of that wood...

Are you planning on shooting SP or FMJ? Large or small calibre?
    Last edited by EL34/6L6; 06-19-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by The Cold Lake Kid View Post
    That would defeat the purpose of the shrouding around the gong or metal plate.
    The CFO is the one who mandated shrouding to prevent splatter from exiting the range the shooting bay, when using solids.
    Apparently, it doesn't happen on steel, (using shotguns and lead shot).
    Using that logic, I recall Bearchild Potts nearly had the inspector convinced that CAS shooters, who use lead bullets only, didn't need to shroud their targets, but that attempt failed.
    This is my range.....no CFO to answer to.

Quote Originally Posted by EL34/6L6 View Post
    Please posts pics after a shooting session. I anticipate the a bit of a gong show regarding the condition of that wood...

Are you planning on shooting SP or FMJ? Large or small calibre?
    The 3/8" AR500 plates that CanAm sells are rated for "up to .308 at 100m" so probably everything up to that at 100m, probably move it out to 300m for the magnums. It will be shot with everything from lead, to FMJ, Barnes solids, steel core/steel jacket surplus, but probably not with the SS109 stash.

Super GunNutz The Cold Lake Kid's Avatar
    OK Hitzy, that'll work!
    I'm doing my shooting at EOSC, so we have to be careful and follow all the rules.
    The Cold Lake Kid: SASS # 51474,
    GOFWG #141, Charter Member and Trail Boss East, Square Circle Wranglers ( www.squarecirclewranglers.ca )
    GOLD member Leaders Circle. Provincial Corner Stone Member
    Proudly Alberta Born and Raised.
    Hoping Trail Boss soon becomes available!

OK Hitzy, that'll work!
    I'm doing my shooting at EOSC, so we have to be careful and follow all the rules.
    The last milshoot i was at there (last year) Lou got hit with some pistol shrapnel while we were standing around waiting for our relay....he was fine though, didn't even break skin lol

As Aviator says, find some old used conveyor belt, cut it and screw it to the inside of the frame, covering the wood.
    We have done that to all our shrouds and find it lasts for several seasons of Cowboy Action Shooting.
    Have a look at our website, www.ovmcowboys.ca and you'll see some examples.
    Went to your website and read the "Why I don't shoot cap n' ball" story. I was laughing out loud, my daughter kept asking what was so funny.

you should also use an other way to attach to the plate . It looks to be straight up and down ! It should be angled to deflect the shrapnel down and away . You could get a rickashay back in your direction.
    If you hang it from the back side you should be all good . Use a bolt straight through the plate with your attachment point behind .
    CCFR Member **** FREE THE WEST ****

I use an old tire to hang the plate. The tire contains the 'shrapnel' very well, and lasts a long time. Depending on your circumstances or tire size, you can bury the bottom of the tire in the ground, stake them, or build a base. And, scrap tires are free from your local tire shop.

That is an awesome idea. Totally gonna steal that one.
    لحم الخنزير المقدد تناول كافر

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast